Author Topic: what is the use of CoronaRaySwitch material.  (Read 4651 times)

2014-11-03, 07:28:16

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hi...can anyone explain what is the use of CoronaRaySwitch material with example..
Thanks.

2014-11-04, 15:59:03
Reply #1

Benjamin_F

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I use it mostly in product rendering animations where some parts needs to be changed, but the rest is the same.
Like a wallpaper changing in a room, first you make a render from the whole room, then apply a RaySwitch material with black mtl in the directoverride slot
to everything exept the walls. Now you change the wallpaper color or material. The room will be black but the GI, reflectons, etc. still calculated from the
original materials. Than it can be composited together. This way I can reduce the rendertimes significantly in heavy scenes.

Unfortunately Multi sub not supprted at the moment, so it can be tedious when you have to setup a lot of materials.
The object level version of this (matte/shadow properties, like in Vray) would be very handy in final V1.

I hope this makes sense.

Edit: corrected attachment according to Rawalanche
« Last Edit: 2014-11-04, 22:56:27 by Benjamin_F »

2014-11-04, 16:12:00
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Multi/Sub material is definitely supported. I use it all the time. It just seems it does not work correctly with RaySwitcher.

2014-11-04, 16:52:45
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
you need to use it other way around, rayswitchmtl inside multi/sub object. Making it work other way would be... complicated
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-11-04, 23:09:52
Reply #4

Benjamin_F

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Multi/Sub material is definitely supported. I use it all the time. It just seems it does not work correctly with RaySwitcher.

Sorry, I was blind when I wrote that, I use Multi/Sub regularly. Corrected.

Yes, I use it other way around, just takes a longer to setup than it would take with Multi/Sub in RaySwitch, but I can deal with it.
Is there any plan to make RaySwitch to an object level feature?
« Last Edit: 2014-11-04, 23:20:18 by Benjamin_F »

2014-11-07, 07:03:05
Reply #5

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hi,

I use it mostly in product rendering animations where some parts needs to be changed, but the rest is the same.
Like a wallpaper changing in a room, first you make a render from the whole room, then apply a RaySwitch material with black mtl in the directoverride slot
to everything exept the walls. Now you change the wallpaper color or material. The room will be black but the GI, reflectons, etc. still calculated from the
original materials. Than it can be composited together. This way I can reduce the rendertimes significantly in heavy scenes.

Unfortunately Multi sub not supprted at the moment, so it can be tedious when you have to setup a lot of materials.
The object level version of this (matte/shadow properties, like in Vray) would be very handy in final V1.

I hope this makes sense.

Edit: corrected attachment according to Rawalanche

Hey thanks Benjamin for briefing ..you are great...