Author Topic: Displacement memory leak  (Read 2715 times)

2020-04-01, 10:11:23

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

First of all, I am not insane but what I am about to describe will make me sound like a lunatic.

I have a scene of about 14 mil polygons, some CAD imported geometry, normal max geometry, a plane with a phoenix FD ocean map. Things are fine...Render is normal.
Then I modify something on the model(like add some extra edges for example, put a bend modifier etc) and when I want to render it goes out of memory while calculating displacement. And it is impossible to cancel...The scene normally takes less than 30 gb of ram, and when I see going above 45 I click cancel nothing happens until it reaches the maximu i have, 64...
It also plagues my scene, I have to revert to a previous one. It is incredible frustrating. Again, I did nothing but change a few vertices on some of my models. It's not even related to the plane which has displacement. I didn't touch that at all.

** Even if I cancel the render the second it says "calculating displacement" it cannot be canceled! :(

** It happens randomly on the scene..I did change extra things on the models and it is fine. But once the scene is plagued I have to revert to a previous save and 'tread lightly" so to say

*** Is there any way to flush/clean/clear any caches about displacement that corona might dump somewhere ?

I get this message "Bad allocation Exception!
Corona Renderer ran out of RAM an was unable to allocate memory it needs for rendering. This can be caused by rendering too big scene with not enough RAM, or an internal bug in Corona Renderer. Contact our support for more info.
"

Thank you!

P.S. I am running Corona 5, AMD Ryzen 3950X, Nvme SSD's, 64 gb of RAM.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-01, 10:19:44 by Flavius »

2020-04-01, 10:40:10
Reply #1

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
!!! I figured it out!!! Autodesk at its best again.

I have the lock camera button on. (see attached image) I go into viewport, change some stuff, then I go back into camera view (press C) and I press shift+Q. The problem is sometimes the viewport switches to Ortographic even though I have the camera view locked to my main camera. And apparently Corona freaks out and goes out of memory when trying to render from Ortographic view.

Since ADSK will never fix this and doesn't care (writing these lines now I remember REBUS farm always warns to click on and off on that button) maybe in a future update or hotfix Corona can warn the view is Ortographic.

2020-04-01, 10:59:18
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That stupid lock-on button behavior is very annoying. I have to occasionally check if it's where it's supposed to be.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-04-01, 18:05:51
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hmm, if it freaks out in orthographic view, then we should definitely look into it. Could you please share the scene with us? (or a part of it where the issue can be replicated)
I will also see if it's easy to reproduce it on my end.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-04-03, 11:13:08
Reply #4

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey maru,

I have reinstalled all C++ stuff yesterday and did a fresh clean install of Corona and it seems it works now. Very weird, I can't even replicate the problem in my own scene now. If it happens again I will definitely contact you, too bad I didn't save the logs.

2020-04-06, 10:30:05
Reply #5

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Apparently it wasn't from the C++ things... The plague has strucked again today. Indeed it has something to do when, for known reasons to adsk only, the camera goes into free ortho mode. Then everything went bad. I think I found a way to replicate the bug. I will try to strip the scene of the NDA stuff and send it. I will get back to this

EDIT: Scene sent to Maru, today @ 11:40AM
« Last Edit: 2020-04-06, 10:53:34 by Flavius »

2020-04-06, 10:50:33
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the scene! I will be sure to test it.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us