Author Topic: Lightmix should correspond accurately  (Read 1851 times)

2019-01-04, 10:14:25

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Hi all,

Can the Lightmix 'colours' in the VFB accurately correspond to the actual colours/temperatures of the lights?

This seems like a no-brainer to me. It would make the Lightmix feature easier to use and more powerful. Understandably, the Environment slot is a bit more tricky to deal with, but with regular lights, or basic environments it's current incarnation seems counter-intuitive.

Hope this is clear. Looking forward to feedback on this request...

Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2019-01-04, 11:34:42
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So what you would like to see are the actual colors of the lights (set in their preferences), rather than white, when setting up LightMix?
Interesting idea, but not sure if possible.

Currently you can get pretty much this behavior by setting up your lights in 3ds Max with pure white colors.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-01-04, 12:26:37
Reply #2

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
So what you would like to see are the actual colors of the lights (set in their preferences), rather than white, when setting up LightMix?

Basically, yes! :D

And thanks... yep I think it's interesting idea too - I've come to love Corona and it's features, but I find it odd that this isn't already the case for Lightmix functionality

Agreed, I guess I could start with the lights all white, but I've noticed that editing the Lightmix does add noise in most cases...obviously this is avoided when possible.

I don't know the first thing about programming (especially in render engines), but I think this is something you guys can handle ;)

Thanks as always for the considered reply
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2019-01-04, 14:08:41
Reply #3

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Your suggestion is perfectly valid as long as there is just a single light allowed per LightSelect element. "Unfortunately" we allow multiple lights to be assigned to single element and then this wouldn't really work unless all of the lights have the same color.

2019-01-04, 14:46:40
Reply #4

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Your suggestion is perfectly valid as long as there is just a single light allowed per LightSelect element. "Unfortunately" we allow multiple lights to be assigned to single element and then this wouldn't really work unless all of the lights have the same color.

Ok, thanks. How is it handled now? If I have multiple lights assigned to a single element (lets say; 1 blue and 1 red light), and I change the colour in LightMix from white to green, do both lights then turn green? It already seems a bit convoluted/unclear having a white default in LightMix when this is rarely the colour of the actual lights...
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2019-01-04, 14:57:43
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Currently you do not replace the original light color. You mix it with the new color. Not sure what the exact operation is, but I think it's something like "overlay" (multiply?) in PS. So if your light is originally yellow and you set it to blue in lightmix, it will become greenish. It's like wrapping your light with a colored transparent filter.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us