Author Topic: Blur Map Node  (Read 2786 times)

2018-08-16, 21:01:39

actrask

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • actrask.com
It would be nice to blur a bitmap independent of the bitmap node. Maybe sneak it somewhere in CoronaColorCorrection?

2018-11-30, 14:14:22
Reply #1

Ash.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've asked this over at the Vray forums some time ago as well. But also no answer although a lot of people can see the benefits.

This was my post (you can easily translate this for Corona):

Well a lot has been written about bitmap blur and its effect on rendertimes and sharpness and whatnot. A lot of people have incorporated a workflow where they use the input of one bitmap with different color corrections to create a shader. Now I was thinking, say I have a diffuse map with blur set to 0.5, but I want to use that same map for the VrayColor2Bump map to generate some bump, but when using that same VrayHDRI node with the blur set to 0.5 it will be too sharp for bump (or when using it for reflections or whatever...) so I have to duplicate that VrayHDRI node and raise the blur.

Question: wouldn't there be a better way to manage this, so I don't have to go and duplicate the same HDRI map 3-4 times because I want different blur values? I know I can export some parameters with some floating spinners and whatnot if I want to change tiling or other parameters and link them all to the other maps but this wouldn't be necessary if we would have a different way of managing the blur values per map type.

Maybe a special node that receives the map and outputs multiple different blurred maps?

I did find an OSL map that should be able to do this but you need 2019 and I'm not sure blur is part of the parameters. As I don't have access to 2019 I can't test it. http://cganimator.com/3dsmax-2019-osl-map/

2018-12-11, 14:53:56
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
(internal note: id=296217029)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-01-10, 20:24:29
Reply #3

actrask

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • actrask.com
Continuing with Ash's point, another instance where it would be nice to only control one bitmap property is the tiling/real world size.

When I'm creating a texture, say I have diffuse/reflect/bump/mask bitmaps that are all supposed to be around 12" x 12". A lot of the time I need to tweak that size so it reads right in the scene, let's say it ends up being 12.56" x 12.56". I can't count how many times I've had to hunt down why a texture isn't working because I didn't change one of those damn map dimensions.

Would it make sense to couple these 'global' bitmap controls into a single node? One that controls Blur, Size, Offsets, etc that you can plug a bunch of bitmaps into. Seems like something Autodesk should have done a long time ago unless I'm completely missing something.

edit: I just realized this is asking for something pretty different, I'll make a new request thread for it.

« Last Edit: 2019-01-10, 20:29:43 by actrask »

2019-01-10, 20:30:41
Reply #4

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
actrask Is Controller Nodes do not help in your task?

2019-01-10, 20:34:55
Reply #5

actrask

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • actrask.com
Wow, I wasn't aware of controller nodes. I'll have to look into it when I get a sec. After a quick search it seems like that may do the trick!