Author Topic: Hair and Fur Map Issues  (Read 7217 times)

2018-03-26, 16:05:55

acrobaticpoly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • AcrobaticPoly
Hi,

I've tried following the tutorial corona provides on youtube on this matter, but I don't end up with the same results. (HF_Test_05).
In the video it simply shows him apply the material to the hair and fur.

I'm trying to get the map beneath to show as the fur itself. Where do I put the map to generate it onto the fur?
I've tried putting the map into the shader slot, but all that seems to do is apply a green diffuse colour (HF_Test_02)

Also like to mention that I'm having to go up to 100000 counts of hair to cover the entire surface, is this normal or too high?.

The third image shows the map already applied to the rug using just a bitmap image - this is the image I want projected onto the fur material (HF_Test_03)

I've put the map into all the slots in the material parametres and it sort of produces the map, barely. (HF_Test_04)

If anyone could offer any help I'd really appreciate it.
Photos: https://vsco.co/egyptianblue/gallery
"I am out with lanterns, looking for myself."

2018-03-26, 16:52:45
Reply #1

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In for later viewing.
Vray who?

2018-03-28, 11:42:50
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I switched the video to "unlisted" to avoid confusion, so it won't be displayed on YT anymore, unless someone has the link.
The video is from Corona Renderer 1.3, which did not even officially support the 3ds Max Hair and Fur modifier. Hair and Fur was simply parsed into geometry, and it had the texture/mapping applied from the base object.

Right now it seems it is not possible to texture hair and fur in a similar way using Corona materials. At least I did not find a way to do it.
The workaround is: insert your bitmap into the "tip color" and "root color" slots of the Hair and Fur modifier. Unfortunately this way you are not able to control other parameters of the material such as reflectivity and glossiness that you would find in a standard Corona material or Corona Hair material.
Another option is using Ornatrix or Hair Farm which support texturing hair out of the box.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-03-28, 13:33:07
Reply #3

acrobaticpoly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • AcrobaticPoly
Another option is using Ornatrix or Hair Farm which support texturing hair out of the box.

Thanks Maru, I'll give these a try.

Is there any hope for Corona being able to do this in the future do you think?

2018-03-28, 21:36:53
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh so that's the limitation I ran into recently... A bit of a bummer since this should really be handled in way that allows for mapping the hair. After all getting an additional plugin is too much of an investment if you need it once in a while.
Can this get looked at by the devs? Maybe there's a way, I hope so!

2018-03-28, 22:02:17
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Ondra said that it's bug in 3ds Max that prevents Corona hair to get UV info from H&F. I still hope that one day he will find a way to somehow make it work. Afterall, Vray has managed to do that.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-03-29, 01:50:22
Reply #6

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Wow, I literally *just* ran into this issue yesterday based on the YouTube tutorial series. I see this thread is still fresh - good to know others have identified this difficulty.

That being said, is it confirmed that Ornatrix can resolve this issue with Corona 1.7?

Honestly, if there was a legacy checkbox to support the previous behavior where hair and fur inherits from the diffuse texture, that would be solid.
« Last Edit: 2018-03-29, 02:00:25 by cjwidd »

2018-03-29, 13:57:30
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yeah, (in case someone from the dev team visits this thread) this is logged in our internal task tracker as "Hair&Fur texture mapping based on distribution object not working when "custom shader" is used" and we will definitely look into it.

Things which give us some hope that this will be improved are:
1) You can display hair and fur with correct texturing in the viewport
2) You can use the root and tip color method and it works fine then

And yes, it does work in Ornatrix. I do not remember the exact steps, but I think you can simply apply the material to the hair object and it just works. I haven't tested this in Hair Farm, but I am guessing it is the same.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-03-29, 14:39:43
Reply #8

acrobaticpoly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • AcrobaticPoly

Not quite. The preview I posted originally shows that even with the map in the tip and root slots, it gives you an incredibly blurry version of your map (Practically unreadible).

I'm not willing to cough up the dough for Ornatrix to do something I can get away with using a fined tuned shader. Shame, hair and fur is so much fun.

Looking forward to the updates! *Pointing at Dev team* :D

2018-03-29, 15:07:10
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Not quite. The preview I posted originally shows that even with the map in the tip and root slots, it gives you an incredibly blurry version of your map (Practically unreadible).

I think it's blurry, because your pattern is very fine and hairs are thick tall and curly.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-03-29, 17:55:46
Reply #10

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can this be included in v2 please? If Vray has a working solution it should be easy to get the necessary information from them. It would make Hair&Fur pretty much complete, I'd hate to see this postponed and see that last bit missed.

2018-03-30, 00:30:37
Reply #11

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Yeah, (in case someone from the dev team visits this thread) this is logged in our internal task tracker as "Hair&Fur texture mapping based on distribution object not working when "custom shader" is used" and we will definitely look into it.

Things which give us some hope that this will be improved are:
1) You can display hair and fur with correct texturing in the viewport

And yes, it does work in Ornatrix. I do not remember the exact steps, but I think you can simply apply the material to the hair object and it just works. I haven't tested this in Hair Farm, but I am guessing it is the same.

thank you!