Author Topic: Human eye ISO and f  (Read 2562 times)

2017-11-09, 11:55:45

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

So after many many years I finally have my own space to live and I am planning things in 3ds. I am my own client, and I am at V07_prefinal_final_FinalOMG_just_Buy-Something.jpg

Anyway, I need to know how to adjust my light fixtures, I have the real world values of light intensity in lumens, the problem is I don't know how to adjust the camera exposure. If I take a photo and the image is too dark, I increase ISO/F-no/decrease shutter speed of course. But this doesn't show what the human eye sees.

So to get a close representation of what I would see with my own eyes in a certain space, what would be the camera settings? I know the human eye F-no goes to around 2.1, but what do I do with the shutter speed and ISO ? Is there a rule of thumb for this? How do you gues tackle this issue?

Thank you

2017-11-09, 14:59:39
Reply #1

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had a similar thought process some years ago when first starting out...but it was quickly abandoned after I realised that each scene is unique and there is no "one size fits all" approach to lighting/exposure/render settings.

The human eye will adapt on the fly to let more light in/out, just as you would adjust shutter speed/iso on a camera for the area you are shooting in.

The beauty of CGI is that we aren't constrained to physical limitations and can manipulate things to look exactly like we want (to an extent). Ever seen how much post processing/photo stacking goes into an interior photo shoot?
« Last Edit: 2017-11-09, 15:03:07 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2017-11-09, 15:54:19
Reply #2

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree that we have no constraints, and I've been doing arch viz and product viz for almost 10 years now and no one ever requested what I want, but the thing is..I need to know how many spotlight to put in my house, how to place them to get the perfect mood/lighting, but a, the human eye is so complicated :D

2017-11-09, 16:18:21
Reply #3

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Human eye is super adaptive so it's almost impossible to match in camera's settings and that's why I requested a corona light meter utility a loooong time ago, vray and even mental ray has those but corona still doesn't (

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/Light+Meter+%7C+VRayLightMeter this thing
and that's how one uses the one built in into 3dsmax it
there are a plenty of other tutorials about those two out there this one is just the first I have clicked ))
As far as I know there are no other way to measure lighting in 3ds max in a more or less reliable manner and then compare that to the local lighting regulations or client's specifications - eyeballing it is not an option an option at all.