Author Topic: Lighting Analysis Features  (Read 4041 times)

2017-10-11, 20:18:30

alexandrecollaco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
First of all great rendering, I've been testing it for a while now and I`m probably changing from Vray to Corona anytime soon. I really makes my life easier with better results.

One thing that I would like to see is some integration with the Lighting analysis tool built in 3dsmax or maybe a pseudo color shader to show light intensity (LUX) on the surfaces.

This would be great for those working with lighting design or architects who want their rendered lighting to match the real world light levels of a built ambient.

Thanks

2017-10-12, 09:25:47
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, this was requested a few times already, and we are aware of the need for this. Any discussion about how exactly light analysis could be executed is welcome.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-10-12, 16:36:06
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why not making/using a LUT?
It works fine for Blender, even if render is done with Corona SA.

Troy J. Sobotka had done False Color Look for Blender's Cycles: Look Transform. Surely, you can too ;)

« Last Edit: 2017-10-12, 16:42:43 by burnin »

2017-10-12, 17:23:02
Reply #3

alexandrecollaco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, this was requested a few times already, and we are aware of the need for this. Any discussion about how exactly light analysis could be executed is welcome.

Nice to hear it and thanks for the quick response.

For me there are two important information, a numeric one which shows the real Lux on the surfaces and the pseudo color that is useful to quickly visualize contrast between areas.

It is important so we can match the rendered concept with what is going to look in real life, this way we can prevent an area to be over or under illuminated as well as comply with building codes requirement.

The pseudo color shows a degradee between a chosen range of values ex: 30 lux to 5000lux

Here are some examples:
Lux values  -  http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMax-Tutorial/images/GUID-67A4FE1A-0CD0-4F15-838B-60D3A9904503.png

This one is from 3dsMax, it creates a grid on the rendered image and shows the lux at each node. You can choose the grid density:
http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/images/GUID-8314C41C-C1C6-42CE-8A00-0968AD402E4F.png

Max Lighting analysis image overlay explanation:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-EFC1764D-ABB7-4C22-B9E8-9625CC4CA7AE-htm.html

Pseudo color example:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1d/5c/4d/1d5c4dbe3a0c78171cd036ad975e008a--rendering-engine-night-lamps.jpg

2017-10-12, 17:25:46
Reply #4

alexandrecollaco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why not making/using a LUT?
It works fine for Blender, even if render is done with Corona SA.

Troy J. Sobotka had done False Color Look for Blender's Cycles: Look Transform. Surely, you can too ;)

Don`t know if I undertood it.
Does it shows the real illuminance values on the surfaces ?

2017-10-12, 20:00:23
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
@Maru: for quick check, there are basically 2 tools:

Environment&Effects: Effect "Lighting Analysis Image Overlay" and

Create Panel -> Tools -> Standard ->"LightMeter"

You need MR to evaluate though and a lot of setup. While both tools are still present in Max2018 I'm not sure about it's future and it may be wise to have some similar Corona solution.

As for a LUT: Adán Martin has created a false colour cube LUT, it's lurking around somewhere in the forum but as usual I cannot find the thread :) Was part of the OCIO LUT package.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.