Author Topic: Takua Render (CPU + GPU VCM renderer)  (Read 14032 times)

2016-11-06, 17:44:42

johezetop

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Takua Render is a physically-based photorealistic 3D renderer I am writing from scratch in C++. Takua is built from the ground up as a global illumination renderer supporting global illumination through several different light transport algorithms, including unidirectional pathtracing with direct light sampling, Veach-style bidirectional pathtracing with multiple importance sampling, progressive photon mapping, and vertex connection and merging. The renderer is still a work in progress, but already supports a number of features, listed below. The ultimate objective of this project is to learn about building an advanced production-ready renderer.

more info:
http://www.yiningkarlli.com/projects/takuarender.html

2016-11-07, 00:57:06
Reply #1

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is impressive!

2016-11-07, 08:34:44
Reply #2

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Really interesting :). Does it support dispersion yet?

Is it possible to try it out?
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2016-11-07, 09:00:36
Reply #3

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Its awesome to see a new renderer supporting Caustics !!! Taking advantage of Embree too

I'd love to try it :) Is is a 3dsmax plugin ? or standalone ?

2016-11-07, 09:06:59
Reply #4

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
looks nice and delicious, congrats!
many renderers born these days. now people are looking for the download link to try this out :)

2016-11-07, 09:10:49
Reply #5

johezetop

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Does it support dispersion yet?

as base of their website:

Planned Future Improvements

More Light Transport: Support for Metropolis Light Transport is being considered. Support for a hybrid MLT-VCM approach is also being looked in to.

More BSDFs: Implementations of additional, better BSDFs such as Beckmann, GGX, and the Disney Principled BSDF are planned.

Displacement/Subdivision: Support for texture driven displacement mapping and OpenSubdiv integration are planned.

Software Integration: Maya and Houdini integration are being considered.

Dispersion/Diffraction: Support for wavelength based splitting of light into component colors to achieve effects like diffraction is planned.

Volumetric Rendering: A integrated system for volumetrics and scattering is planned. The planned approach is to implement the Unified Points, Beams, and Paths algorithm by Krivanek et al. and presented at SIGGRAPH 2014. OpenVDB integration is also planned.

2016-11-07, 09:59:16
Reply #6

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Ohh.. the way the first post was written I figured you are the creator of this renderer. That's why I was asking questions..
Now I figured it was a copy/paste from the website :P
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2016-11-07, 11:23:53
Reply #7

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Ohh.. the way the first post was written I figured you are the creator of this renderer. That's why I was asking questions..
Now I figured it was a copy/paste from the website :P
haha, he got me, just like what you thought :D

2016-11-08, 21:37:46
Reply #8

yuhahiti

the owner of this renderer is Karl Li, the founder of Disney Hyperion Renderer ...

2016-11-08, 23:59:17
Reply #9

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the owner of this renderer is Karl Li, the founder of Disney Hyperion Renderer ...

I don't think he is the founder, like he says on his blog, that he went to work on Disneys' Hyperion Renderer

http://blog.yiningkarlli.com/2015/04/hyperion.html
Just a quick update on future plans. Starting in July, I’m going to be working full time for Walt Disney Animation Studios as a software engineer on their custom, in-house Hyperion Renderer. I couldn’t be more excited about working with everyone on the Hyperion team; ever since the Sorted Deferred Shading paper was published two years ago, I’ve thought that the Hyperion team is doing some of the most interesting work there is in the rendering field right now.

I owe an enormous thanks to everyone that’s advised and supported and encouraged me to continue exploring the rendering and graphics world. Thanks, Joe, Don, Peter, Tony, Mark, Christophe, Amy, Fran, Gabriel, Harmony, and everyone else!

Normally as a rule I only post images to this blog that I made or have a contribution to, but this time I’ll make an exception. Here’s one of my favorite stills from Big Hero 6, rendered entirely using Hyperion and lit by Angela McBride, a friend from PUPs 2011! Images like this one are an enormous source of inspiration to me, so I absolutely can’t wait to get started at Disney and help generate more gorgeous imagery like this!

2016-11-09, 01:07:05
Reply #10

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
I think that it's very good, because, in these images, they use the VertexConnection and Merging, with real caustics.
The room, and the author says:

"The scene is an indoor room that is lit primarily from outside through glass windows.
Yes, the windows are actually modeled as geometry with a glass BSDF!
This means everything seen in these renders is being lit primarily through caustics"

It's really cool!
In Corona we have VCM. We cna make a good Caustics, but, it's only an experiment engine.

2016-11-09, 04:54:34
Reply #11

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
With corona, Is it possible to blend VCM with progressive pathtracing, VCM is only for generate caustic from materials with caustic-enabled only. :D

2016-11-09, 11:58:57
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
With corona, Is it possible to blend VCM with progressive pathtracing, VCM is only for generate caustic from materials with caustic-enabled only. :D
this is actually what VCM does by default automatically by itself ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-11-09, 12:42:29
Reply #13

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
this is actually what VCM does by default automatically by itself ;)
But may i ask again, why doesn't it supports all available features if it "contain" progressive pathtracing by default? :))

2016-11-09, 13:03:12
Reply #14

junowokot

• Users
    • View Profile
But may i ask again, why doesn't it supports all available features if it "contain" progressive pathtracing by default? :))

because VCM and develop panel are gone from 1.6 ... corona is only pathtracer, not vcm ...