Author Topic: "Override pass/... Limits" Button in VFB  (Read 4161 times)

2016-10-05, 10:39:30

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Hi folks,

One issue we come across quite often is when we're doing lots of little Corona Regions in a render, to test or fix certain things. If we have an overall pass limit for the scene already set, say 200 passes, when rendering these little c-regions it's very easy to "run out" of passes very very quickly, leaving you with not enough to do more regions. You then need to stop the render and do a new one, (remembering to turn off Clear VFB) so you can do those other regions. It's cumbersome.

A nice solution would be a simple button on the VFB that allows you to temporarily override the pass limit for the scene, to allow you to keep doing more and more regions or to let corona cook away at certain stubborn areas that might need more passes to clean up than you realised.

Some kind of "Override Limits" button, which would temporarily disable any noise limit, pass limit and time limit settings you've enabled for the scene.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: 2017-03-21, 14:22:16 by Ondra »
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-10-05, 15:58:24
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hmm I can imagine this being a problem if you forget to disable such override.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-10-05, 16:03:30
Reply #2

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Hmm I can imagine this being a problem if you forget to disable such override.

Have it switch back off after each render is finished or cancelled?
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-10-05, 16:11:14
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You then need to stop the render and do a new one, (remembering to turn off Clear VFB) so you can do those other regions. It's cumbersome.

A nice solution would be a simple button on the VFB that allows you to temporarily override the pass limit for the scene, to allow you to keep doing more and more regions or to let corona cook away at certain stubborn areas that might need more passes to clean up than you realised.

I think much better solution would be to press resume last render button instead of starting anew.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-10-05, 16:13:11
Reply #4

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
You then need to stop the render and do a new one, (remembering to turn off Clear VFB) so you can do those other regions. It's cumbersome.

I think much better solution would be to press resume last render button instead of starting anew.

Doesn't really solve the problem though, because it could easily be your first render with no previous render to resume from.

I'm thinking of this more as a kind of "panic button" that you hit if you realise you're going to run out of passes and/or time in order to accommodate your current regions.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-10-05, 16:17:11
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Why do you think it doesn't solve the problem? If you run out of time when drawing regions, then your regions end up being of very unequal quality anyway, so you must either run render anew or resume from last.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-10-05, 16:19:20
Reply #6

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Why do you think it doesn't solve the problem? If you run out of time when drawing regions, then your regions end up being of very unequal quality anyway, so you must either run render anew or resume from last.

I suppose it could work this way, yes. But the main drawback, I think, would be that the scene would have to load again, as it would be treated as a fresh render. With a quick override button you can hit when needed this won't happen. That could save you a lot of time, especially if the scene has to be sent across to a bunch of nodes.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-10-05, 17:17:01
Reply #7

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you are running into this situation often wouldn't it be a better practice to use a noise limit rather than a pass limit?

I'm trying to think of a situation where I would use a pass limit in combination with rendering region and having a hard time thinking of any specific case.  Maybe fixing a region in a static camera animation shot?