Author Topic: VRay 3.0 sneak peak  (Read 10896 times)

2013-07-01, 11:57:58

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
VRay 3.0 sneak peak from EUE 2013. I let this stand uncommented ;)
http://vray.info/news/article.asp?ID=553

Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-07-01, 12:16:52
Reply #1

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
It is the fear of losing market!
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2013-07-01, 12:25:40
Reply #2

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I guess it's how renderers must progress these days. But it's still funny that things which were requested for ages are still not going to be implemented (one of my major reasons why I want corona to be successful, made some angry postings in the chaosgroup forums :P ).
Anyways, it's nice to see we're on the right track I guess :)

2013-07-01, 13:44:33
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
-embree
-max intensity
-enhanced material preview
-VM

So basically they downloaded Corona and ripped off all major features. ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-07-01, 21:07:02
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
But it's still funny that things which were requested for ages are still not going to be implemented

Can I ask which are those :- ) ? You got me interested there. I sometimes frequent the forum too but I am not sure out of head what people want most

Imho Vray would benefit from some complete re-writting, but I understand how that is downright impossible with all the features depending on it now.
Like unified sampling. Progressive rendering is great addition, but without simplified sampling (the whole material subdivs vs light subdivs  vs AA vs DMC nonsense...), I am not sure it's gonna be that great working. There is too much baggage from early days and bloat.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-07-01, 21:23:44
Reply #5

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I must admit that I really like DMC and all that subdivs here and subdivs there stuff. It's pretty powerful when you understand how it works (and I love optimizing and reaching the last couple of saved secs/frame :D)

About the things which were requested:
- Selfillumination in VrayMtl (now, after i don't know how many years, we finally got it)
- include/exclude in REs (this lightselect element is a joke, look at finalRenders include exclude functionality!) "Yes, this is planned" ... yeah, but never made it. I must admit that I do not expect this to happen neither in Vray nor in Corona, but it's another kind of rendering today so nevermind. ...Would still be nice though... ;)
- additionally sampled REs (if you really push the reflection or lighting REs it can become noisy like hell, so it would be a great thing for heavy postwork) . fR btw is capable of this - actually it cost us a little nagging until this could be disabled :D
- 16/32 bit switch for exr saving. Come on, this can't be so difficult, one little checkbox in the vfb settings rollout.

There are many more things like that, but these were the most important I could remember now.

2013-07-01, 22:48:41
Reply #6

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Ups...~5min 1600x800
1. PT+HD
2.PT+PT

2013-07-01, 23:32:20
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Heh, took me a moment to realize why did you post that :- D thought you mistaken thread for moment..

I dunno what they tried to show with their super-ugly example, all I see is noise at 15, even more noise at 10, and even higher noise at 5 minutes. It's faster !!
Why cannot they for once pay some attention to the examples. They only had 30 minutes to test it ?

2Deadclown: I don't know. I am pretty sure I and many others understand DMC quite well, but even then it's imho hoocus-focus magic with too many potato values, and behaves differently often. There are also too many workflows, with each professional adopting his own way around this and it just doesn't look right to me in such case. And when biggest pros like Bertrand Benoit struggle with it to reach satisfying solution ( the top solution, un-clamped, sub-pixel off, linear, with BF engine and complex scenes with every material being glossy) I doubt it's so powerful. But I am might be biased in opinion as I do actually hate it :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-07-02, 00:10:19
Reply #8

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well... I thought, they would try harder than that... But who knows, maybe chaos still has some ace up the sleeve... hidden.. for later.. :D Time will tell, but my money's on corona! :D

2013-07-02, 08:57:37
Reply #9

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
It had to happen sooner or later, since corona was open to everyone and every experienced person in a field of rendering should not have any problems identifying basic outlines of how features work. Now, that they replicated what they could gather, the competitive fight is finally going to get interesting ;)

I definitely don't see it in a negative way. There is finally some competition on the field of renderers going on ;)

2013-07-02, 09:06:30
Reply #10

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
+1000

2013-07-02, 16:12:35
Reply #11

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It had to happen sooner or later, since corona was open to everyone and every experienced person in a field of rendering should not have any problems identifying basic outlines of how features work. Now, that they replicated what they could gather, the competitive fight is finally going to get interesting ;)

I definitely don't see it in a negative way. There is finally some competition on the field of renderers going on ;)

I very much doubt ChaosGroup see themselves competing with a renderer that is in alpha stage.

2013-07-02, 18:20:17
Reply #12

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile

Yes i totally agree, a good competition is always a good thing !

2013-07-03, 10:36:46
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I very much doubt ChaosGroup see themselves competing with a renderer that is in alpha stage.

They are a well-managed company, they do.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-07-03, 11:15:06
Reply #14

listy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
They are a well-managed company, they do.
They probably read this thread.
Hi Chaos Group!!