Author Topic: Colours in ID Pass  (Read 2674 times)

2021-02-11, 19:14:23

steppes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all!

Even though the ID Pass is very handy, I often struggle with its colours...

1. Why do most colours in the ID Pass have the same colourrange? F.E.: In a scene with only 12 Materials, I have one dark red, one pink, but 8 shades of greenish blues. Those are pretty difficult to pick afterwards in Photoshop. Why isn't  there a wide range of the most different colours?

2. When i copy material to make some adjustments (f.e. change a white plaster-Material to a grey one) there will be no other colour in ID Pass. Both have the same colour...

Can anyone help? Thanks!

steppes

2021-02-15, 18:05:34
Reply #1

steppes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nobody?

2021-02-15, 23:08:02
Reply #2

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Second issue happens here too. Copied materials do not get its own color.

Latest Daily, C4D R20.

2021-02-16, 09:19:31
Reply #3

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

I will need more information regarding both issues.
What is your ID pass ID setting? Material?
1) I created 16 cubes and 16 Physical Materials - I am attaching an image with my results, in which I don't see pretty much any colors that would blend.
2) Are you talking about copying a material (i.e. creating a new one that's identical) or copying a material tag (i.e. assigning the same material to multiple objects)

Please, disclose further information so that we can try and reproduce this better, having your scene would help us immensely when identifying the issue.

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-02-16, 12:08:09
Reply #4

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Jan

Here a scene to confirm what steppes said.

There are two ways to copy materials.
Using ctrl + drag and drop works as expected.
Using ctrl + c and ctrl + v works as well, but then we get this issue with material ID.

Hope this is helpfull.

2021-02-16, 15:42:59
Reply #5

mmarcotic

• Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
If you copy and paste, does the name of the material change? For me, if the material is named "Physical", the copy is "Physical.1" - the name is why the cubes appear in the same color - change one of the material's name from "Physical" to "test" and you will see the difference.
For me both copying methods (ctrl + drag, and ctrlC ctrlV) rename the material, please let me know if it doesn't for you.

Thanks,
Jan

2021-02-16, 17:23:58
Reply #6

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Name does not change when I use ctrl + c and ctrl + v. That seems to be the issue.

But as you said, just changing name resolves this issue. :)

C4D R20
Latest daily.

2021-02-17, 13:58:55
Reply #7

mmarcotic

• Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

I was testing in R23 where it does in fact work as I described, but previous versions do not append the ".num" at the end. We will discuss with developers if there's anything we can do about this since it seems to be mostly on Maxon's side, but in the meantime, make sure to rename your materials after copying.

Thanks,
Jan

2021-02-22, 09:03:23
Reply #8

steppes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanky, I will try, if changing the Material-Name solves the problem, it is ok (yes, sometimes I am too lazy to name the materials properly)

But as you can see in your own example: there are so may greens, some pinks, but no yellows, no oranges. all ID-Pass-colours are pretty close. this will work for a small number of non overlapping objects, but not for a complex scene with 100s of materials. It woulb be nice, if coroa allways provides the widest range of poosible colors.

« Last Edit: 2021-02-22, 09:06:46 by steppes »