Author Topic: Water Puddle - help  (Read 4668 times)

2020-10-15, 19:09:06

matgom

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am trying to make a water puddle on the floor using a second material apply on top of the tile material. My water material should be transparent et reflective to get both the tile underneath and the reflections... But when I activate the refraction, the water kind of "Eat" the tile material... Does anybody knows how to solve this issue ?

Thanks a lot for your help !!

2020-10-15, 19:27:48
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Probably better to add geometry for the water to be honest. That way 1) the water has depth and a shape to the surface 2) you avoid any complex material set ups.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-10-15, 20:40:18
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Definitely puddles needs to be made with separate geometry as Tom said. Simple single sided plane, lifted just a millimeter or so above the floor, will do fine.

You can see an example here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=18233.msg114523#msg114523 It's for 3ds Max, but main principle should remain the same.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-10-15, 21:56:24
Reply #3

matgom

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback, I draw shapes as you said. It is much easier indeed.
Still I don't get the right result... Maybe I should create a "wet tile" material instead of "water" material, as Romulus did. My footprints are too bright right now ^^

2020-10-16, 09:39:30
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You don't need "wet tile" material. It's only needed when base material is water absorbent and thus changes its colour and reflectivity. Bathroom tiles are glazed, so they don't absorb water at all. In this case only two materials are needed - tiles and water. I think your result isn't far from correct, but maybe materials need some tweaking to get more convincing result. I'll see if i find some time to make some experiments and to come up with setup examples.

2020-10-16, 11:24:02
Reply #5

ficdogg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd try lowering the reflectivity a bit, but for me, a bigger issue is that the footprints are particularly wet yet have a sharp clean outline, and there are no spills or droplets anywhere near the footprints.

2020-10-16, 14:09:05
Reply #6

matgom

• Users
    • View Profile
Here is my last result. I applied a "wet material", darker and more reflective tiles on the puddle areas. I also applied a noise map on the opacity slot to get less clean surface.

Still I find the outlines too sharp, I should find a way to blur it...

2020-10-16, 15:51:18
Reply #7

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Personally, I'd make the footprint shape much less realistic. A real wet footprint will not 100% replicate the foot shape, it'll be a vague/abstract representation of a foot... additionally, with surface tension; the puddle will mean some shapes attach to others.

Otherwise, great improvement :)
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2020-10-16, 17:09:03
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I agree about footprints shape. Here's good example how might look.

Also it's good idea to blur opacity map slightly and plug it to bump channel, this will give footprints slight impression of volume and will increase realism. I'm attaching my quick try and screenshot of scene setup. Hopefully you'll find something useful in it.

2020-10-17, 13:43:36
Reply #9

matgom

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for your time and advices !! You helped me a lot.

2021-02-22, 20:15:41
Reply #10

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Romullus,

Thanks for your setup!
In the case scenario where the wet footprint would be on a wooden deck, how would be the trick to make the footprint darken the wood planks?
In a similar scenario I would use a layered material with a dry wood material and a wet wood material and a alpha map as a mask.
That being said this set up can not be applied to the footprint itself but to the overall wood object.

Thanks for your help

alex