Author Topic: House Breukelen, Blender & Corona  (Read 4908 times)

2014-11-12, 00:06:36

lechu

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone! This is my first post on Corona forum and I'd like to really thank developers of putting their time and effort on developing this amazing rendering engine!

I've been working on the scene below in Blender for some time and decided to try rendering it in something different than Cycles. I've picked Corona Renderer and you can see the results below. Actually, I've sinked into the work so much that it resulted in writing a complete tutorial on integrating Corona Standalone with Blender. If you're interested in reading, just follow the link below:
http://www.chocofur.com/corona-amp-blender.html

I've tried describing things pretty solid so even non experienced Blender users should be able to follow. Some of the covered topics are: scene and illumination preparation for Corona and Blender or basic material setups ie. translucent lamp from one of the pictures. You can also download the entire scene as I've decided to share it with community for free. Just follow this link:
http://store.chocofur.com/all_free/free-scenes

It should be working fine and allow you creating exact same pictures as I did. Some color correction was of course applied to them but you can compare it to raw renderings which can be found in the tutorial.

Very best wishes!
Lechu

2014-11-12, 00:20:44
Reply #1

NielsH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really awesome stuff and great tutorials, it really sucks that Corona standalone in combination with Blender isn't fully featured yet, for clean interior scenes you can probably manage but the lack of displacement for example. I would love to switch to Blender completely.

2014-11-12, 16:59:44
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Good work. Beautiful closeup shots. I like the "through stairs" one! :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-11-13, 20:35:37
Reply #3

lechu

• Users
    • View Profile
Thank you guys for your comments!

>NielsH
I really hope as well that missing features will be eventually included in Standalone version and then transferred to Blender. Such a pity with GPL licensing nightmare but we have to deal with it... Anyways - I don't know how fast is built in Corona displacement but using standard Blender modifiers for that can also give nice results. I've used it on the roof wooden beams but it's unfortunately not super visible on my shots.

2014-11-13, 22:22:47
Reply #4

leocv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My behance portfolio
Congratulations on the incredible work.
I like all the images and specially like maru said the "through stairs" shot. Really impressive.
The tutorial is amazing and very well explained, I definitely gonna try this combination, Blender and Corona, since I use Modo.

Thanks you to share your knowledge. :)

Best,
Leo.
KISS Principle
Keep it simple, stupid!

www.behance.net/leonardovieira

2014-11-13, 22:43:20
Reply #5

NielsH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you guys for your comments!

>NielsH
I really hope as well that missing features will be eventually included in Standalone version and then transferred to Blender. Such a pity with GPL licensing nightmare but we have to deal with it... Anyways - I don't know how fast is built in Corona displacement but using standard Blender modifiers for that can also give nice results. I've used it on the roof wooden beams but it's unfortunately not super visible on my shots.

I'm fairly new to Blender still so it could well be that I missed some neat tricks but the problem with using Blender's displace and subdivision modifiers is that it isn't optimized and takes up a lot of RAM while Corona with 3DS Max handles this really neatly and subdivides adaptively so that it subdivides every polygon independently depending on the size and the distance to the camera.

Besides displacement I would really like to see Gloss/Roughness maps and fresnel falloff mapping.

2014-11-17, 13:04:10
Reply #6

lechu

• Users
    • View Profile
>leocv
You're velcome :)

>NielsH
Thanks for explaining. I was just curious as for me displacement in V-ray sometimes seemed to be a big pain to set up correctly and I used modifiers instead. Looking forward to having it added in Corona Standalone.