Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 248262 times)

2016-03-15, 16:14:16
Reply #990

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hmm, looks like the "Adaptivity recalc passes interval" spinner doesn't do anything, it's still using 10, no matter what is set.

yep, doesnt work, will be fixed

After a long production phase I've installed the latest daily and try to catch up on latest features.
One question - I remember reading that more than 255 lights are now sampled efficiently but the log still warns about the slower fallback algorithm. What's the current state (build from Mar 12 2016)?

it is more or less done, but it is not merged in the daily builds yet
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-15, 16:20:50
Reply #991

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks!

2016-03-16, 06:20:59
Reply #992

jigu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks for denoising. Now my renders are much faster and I can get away with low passes and using denoising to clean the image.
Here is the still from video render I did for "GrayWhale" project.
Though for me 8.0 blur amount works best , lower value still shows some animated noise.

2016-03-16, 11:18:16
Reply #993

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you sahre the animation when you have it? I'm curious about how denoising will work with an animation, if it may cause splotches.

Cheers.

2016-03-16, 12:23:42
Reply #994

Ocularcentric

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've got to say - de-noising is pretty bloody incredible.

2016-03-16, 12:44:47
Reply #995

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Looks like chaosgroup is also working on denoising, I just stumbled upon a thread on the chaosgroup forum where vlado shows some early tests.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-03-16, 14:05:25
Reply #996

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Looks like chaosgroup is also working on denoising, I just stumbled upon a thread on the chaosgroup forum where vlado shows some early tests.
Well that was only a matter of time - no sane renderer developer will pass an opportunity like that ))

2016-03-16, 15:44:56
Reply #997

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Well, sane developers have been ignoring this for many years ;) I think it's just happening now because machines are now fast enough for pathtracing and even the big players have switched to pathtracers (disney, weta, ILM, etc). I'm not sure if this is a "if one company does it, the other ones must do it too to be competitive" case or just coincidence because pretty much everyone is facing the same problem now and thus everyone is starting to look into denoising solutions.

2016-03-16, 19:05:24
Reply #998

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
That' more or less what I meant )) Something similar existed for quite some time but somehow no one bothered to implement it - I'm not sure if that's the same tech - http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?231494-Denoising-images-using-motion-vector-controlled-temporal-filtering - but it look quite similar, so even in that distant 2011 it was +- there but probably was unnoticed or more specifically underappreciated by bigger developers but then this came up http://www.innobright.com/ and had finally "got the genie out of the bottle" ))

2016-03-16, 20:53:33
Reply #999

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
yes, noise reduction using temporal / motion information is not really a new thing, many video denoising plugins use these techniques - but I'm not particularly surprised that no one really implemented it in a renderer. First of all, you can simply use a plugin in your postprocessing app, it does the same thing. And second, you have way more information at hand when you render an image than with just a series of single pictures from a camera - so there are better and way more useful methods to do it: you can preserve image detail by taking diffuse, reflection, lighting, etc passes into account. That's presumably also the way altus does it. Afaik you need a range of different passes, from normals to diffuse information to be able to preserve those features and using the 2 different qmc seeds you are able to identify the "real" noise and eliminate it without blurring texture or bump detail.

2016-03-17, 09:25:04
Reply #1000

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
First time i saw built in denoiser was here. https://renderman.pixar.com/view/renderman20
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2016-03-17, 18:17:00
Reply #1001

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
thanks for denoising. Now my renders are much faster and I can get away with low passes and using denoising to clean the image.
Here is the still from video render I did for "GrayWhale" project.
Though for me 8.0 blur amount works best , lower value still shows some animated noise.

I didn't realise denoiser went above 1.0 ? but looks good in that shot.

2016-03-17, 19:27:48
Reply #1002

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a small problem on my of my nodes. Installing the Daily Build exe (in order to be able to use the latest db) hangs on 'installing additional magic'. Is there something I need to do first? Installing Windows updates or anything else?

Sorry, turns out I had to close the cmd.exe and it reported installation complete after that.

EDIT
Actually, the server reported 'CoronaUtils failed to initialize' even after running the installer numerous times. I had to unpack the install files and install MS vc_redist manually, now it works. Might be useful if to know if someone else runs into this.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-17, 19:55:37 by pokoy »

2016-03-17, 20:02:45
Reply #1003

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it me or is interactive rendering noticeably slower than with earlier versions? I jumped from 1.2.1 right to the latest daily (12-3-2016) and moving heavier objects or scenes seems definitely slower.
I'm not sure how it behaves for others (can't test too much due to time constraints) but interactive 'experience' isn't as fun as it used to be. Or am I trying with too heavy scenes?

2016-03-17, 20:43:26
Reply #1004

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Is it me or is interactive rendering noticeably slower than with earlier versions? I jumped from 1.2.1 right to the latest daily (12-3-2016) and moving heavier objects or scenes seems definitely slower.
I'm not sure how it behaves for others (can't test too much due to time constraints) but interactive 'experience' isn't as fun as it used to be. Or am I trying with too heavy scenes?

It definitely should not be slower than any previous version. If it is, then scene plz :)