Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.5  (Read 113528 times)

2016-08-16, 17:49:41
Reply #300

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Same thing with vrayDistanceTex - probably that's some sort of limitation of that technique (which indeed can be quite annoying sometimes) one thing is definitely appreciated - Corona Distance renders faster - seen up to 2x difference in rays\well, all of those, but mostly it is somewhere around 30% faster which is still very good.
 Gotta do some more testing on all those mappable slots and see how they stand up to vrayDistanceTex but as for now I see what not all of those made their way to Corona's version - from the start I will surely miss inside\outside separate slots with the possibilities they offer. On the other hand that distance near spinner is a really useful addition I think.   

2016-08-16, 20:12:53
Reply #301

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With last Daily Build from 15 aug 2016 -3dmax 2016 on workstation comp going to crash all times, after ignore and closing error massage about /Low RAM/ on slaves comp's, with distribute render///

2016-08-16, 21:04:51
Reply #302

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
the dependency thingy is a 3ds Max limitation (or bad design). We encountered it before (it is the same with include/exclude lists) and found we could work around it, but it would be so complex that we decided not to do it yet
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-16, 21:45:35
Reply #303

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The dependency warnings and blocks may be a good idea, since the Distance can both affect AND be affected by displacement.

This cube changes the displacement on the water:

The displacement of this planet (in this case a Corona DisplacementMod animated over time) compared to a non-displaced copy in the Distance affects the results:

And displacement of the cube via material vs an undisplaced copy in the image shows that the displacement is fully accounted for.

I imagine that would get ugly if combined, where the displacement A was being affected by position of B, then B was trying to be affected by A (as B has just modified the displacement of A). So just as-is with the inability for A to refer to B is maybe better safe than sorry, as the CoronaDistance doesn't know if it is going to affect displacement or not.

Anyway, this opens up a world of possibilities! And is great fun to try out!

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-08-16, 22:35:17
Reply #304

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Yep, now we only need some replacement for PhoenixFd's OceanTex map (which is really hard to beat for the job btw.) - well, something which will help create procedural, vector displacement based waves and foam texture based on those to finally get rid of vray once and for all, at least for doing fully procedural water stuff like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/28744396360/in/datetaken-public/ , https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/28997619996/in/datetaken-public/ , https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/28413140483/in/datetaken-public/ - still more sort of test or wip but I'll get there eventually ))
« Last Edit: 2016-08-16, 22:42:24 by antanas »

2016-08-17, 10:38:08
Reply #305

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With last Daily Build from 15 aug 2016 -3dmax 2016 on workstation comp going to crash all times, after ignore and closing error massage about /Low RAM/ on slaves comp's, with distribute render///

Also getting render-time crashes on 2016 when parsing the scene every two or three renders. Impossible to reproduce. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn't, with the same scene. Reverting back to 1.4 fixes the problem.

2016-08-17, 11:02:44
Reply #306

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you provide some minidumps of the crashes?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-17, 14:12:49
Reply #307

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would it be possible to have Corona sky as a light element?
Even better, not Corona sky specifically but what ever is plugged into "environment map" slot, be it sky or HDRI.

2016-08-17, 15:27:06
Reply #308

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but this is there already - add a LightSelect element, don't add any lights to it, and check the Include Environment Light option. This gives just the environ light (whatever is in the Max Environ slot) rendered out in its own element.

Note, this element does honour the Direct Visibility Override option too. Let me know if that was what you were looking for!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-08-17, 15:35:45
Reply #309

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yup, that's it, didn't think to leave it without any lights :) Workaround I came up is to add a "dummy" light with "Include Environment Light", but turn it off :D

2016-08-17, 15:46:49
Reply #310

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
doing hotfix for the crash in latest daily

2016-08-17, 16:40:25
Reply #311

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Fixed vignette falloff parameter at 0.3 and hidden it from UI, so vignette has only one control

To be perfectly honest, vignette was the weakest link of the post processing tools, but with this change it is completely useless. This means either nothing at all, or really dark corners.

2016-08-17, 17:03:39
Reply #312

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Fixed vignette falloff parameter at 0.3 and hidden it from UI, so vignette has only one control

To be perfectly honest, vignette was the weakest link of the post processing tools, but with this change it is completely useless. This means either nothing at all, or really dark corners.

Have to agree. I rarely use vignette, but when i do, i always set fallof to 0,0 Even previous default 0,1 seems too agressive for me.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-08-17, 17:04:54
Reply #313

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
so you would prefer to have the falloff fixed at 0?

2016-08-17, 17:34:00
Reply #314

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If falloff is exposed in config file, then it doesn't matter really. But you should fix bug with save defaults first ;]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures