Author Topic: A wintery scene  (Read 4774 times)

2015-12-14, 08:20:23

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
Tried some Cscatter with a simple scene that represents the current Swedish weather. :)
The fog is made with the zdepth pass. Crows are photoshoped.
Comments and feedback welcome! :)

2015-12-14, 12:38:34
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The atmosphere is pretty realistic, but I don't like it how the plants are scattered - some more randomization would be great. Maybe some more clumping vs empty areas? I am surprised how nice the zdepth fog came out. You should definitely check out Corona's volumetric fog, though. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-12-14, 12:53:30
Reply #2

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
The atmosphere is pretty realistic, but I don't like it how the plants are scattered - some more randomization would be great. Maybe some more clumping vs empty areas? I am surprised how nice the zdepth fog came out. You should definitely check out Corona's volumetric fog, though. :)
Thanks for the reply!
I tried using the 3ds max standard volumetric fog, but somehow I couldn't get it to work nicely with my scene. I'll try the solution in the tutorial too. 
I'm not really satisfied with the plants either, I went a little too far with the clumping at first, and then I guess I overdid it in the other direction when correcting. :D Some of the models are single leafs/stems too, so perhaps I should bunch them together a bit more.

2015-12-14, 13:12:02
Reply #3

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the vegetation lacks some kind of snow covering and should be pressed more downwards. Also some specular from the humidity should give it some more realism. Perhaps if you would only have snow in some parts of the ground it could intergrate more with the overall vibe.

2015-12-14, 13:15:26
Reply #4

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
I think the vegetation lacks some kind of snow covering and should be pressed more downwards. Also some specular from the humidity should give it some more realism. Perhaps if you would only have snow in some parts of the ground it could intergrate more with the overall vibe.

Not a bad idea! I wish I could emulate the frost covering most vegetation outside now, it is so complex and sparkly though, hard to know where to start. I guess I could scatter some ice crystals on the vegetation, but poly count would become a bit much, even for Corona! My 16gb machine is straining enough as it is. :D Perhaps some displacement solution.. Hmm..

2015-12-14, 14:38:06
Reply #5

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
You should definitely check out Corona's volumetric fog, though. :)

I've finally figured out how that volume fog works, thanks for making me check. :D
This is pretty much straight out of corona, no PS except for contrast.
I think the scattering improved a lot too.

2015-12-14, 17:20:36
Reply #6

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I haven't tried the plugin yet but perhaps this could be handy for adding some snowy parts on the vegetation?

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,9944.0.html

Also some melted parts on the snowdeck would add some more depth and realism and shouldn't be that hard to achieve I guess.

2015-12-15, 11:39:16
Reply #7

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
I haven't tried the plugin yet but perhaps this could be handy for adding some snowy parts on the vegetation?

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,9944.0.html

Also some melted parts on the snowdeck would add some more depth and realism and shouldn't be that hard to achieve I guess.

That seems really helpful! I'll check it out, thanks.