Author Topic: Mapping end grain of wood  (Read 282 times)

2023-04-25, 02:08:16

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
I'm trying to find a good way to map wood end grain on objects that are mostly boxes (like boards or planks). Most of the wood elements in my models run in either the X, Y, or Z directions (in terms of the wood grain). Therefore, I typically set the mapping up with tri-planar components running in each direction, with an end grain texture plugged into the z input, and typical wood grain in the other two axes. The wood objects are set up so that all the boards running in a direction are all part of one editable poly. My issue is that when it comes to end grain, sometimes I'll get a moment at the end of a board where you'll see a seam in the end grain texture because my textures aren't tileable.

It would be ideal if there was a way to set the texture up such that the tri-planar component could center a texture on each element within the editable poly. In my case, it would be centering the end grain texture on each element in the given axis. Perhaps this is possible, and I just don't know how. Anyways, I would interested to hear how anyone else sets up end-grain textures in their models besides manually placing each one.

2023-04-25, 10:49:59
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Providing some screenshots and visuals with details will be very helpful in this case.
It's hard to grasp what exactly you need only from text.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us