Author Topic: Nvidia Denoiser - Something is wrong  (Read 1148 times)

2022-12-07, 18:27:18

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi guys,

I am on the official 9 build HF1 and I've noticed lately some weird results when I use the Nvidia Denoiser.
The denoiser produces very evident artifacts on each produced image and I am wondering if you guys have noticed the same thing.

I am attaching some crop examples, without denoise and with denoise.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dionysios -

2022-12-07, 18:45:53
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
This is pretty much expected from AI denoisers. Best solution is not to use one if you run into this and use the Corona High Quality denoiser (you can try the Intel one in place of NVIDIA if you really want an AI Denoiser, it seems less prone to artifacts). If I remember right, we no longer install the NVIDIA Denoiser in our installer, and instead whichever one is installed by NVIDIA is used, so perhaps there's been an update of that downloaded with your GPU driver.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-12-07, 19:35:09
Reply #2

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Thanks for getting back and we've talked about all this in the past where the Nvidia Denoiser was having the same issues and was indeed a driver problem.

High Quality unfortunately is not always efficient in some cases, I find the AI Denoisers a bit more suitable for my workflow and usually they always worked perfectly well.

I see a difference in Nvidia now, as you wrote is probably the driver.
Is there a way to contact them and tell them about the issue? I can do this, no problem.

Thanks!

2022-12-08, 15:59:59
Reply #3

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

Was this working okay in a previous driver version? Or was it always broken?

If you send over the scene I can forward it over to nvidia.. Please can you let me know your GPU + driver version?

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-12-09, 09:02:37
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Could the AI denoisers get confused perhaps by the new bucket-style rendering Corona is doing nowadays?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-12-09, 10:37:35
Reply #5

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi,

Was this working okay in a previous driver version? Or was it always broken?

If you send over the scene I can forward it over to nvidia.. Please can you let me know your GPU + driver version?

Thanks,

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

The driver version is the 52.98 and the GPU cards we use are: 1080 GTX, 3080 RTX and 4090 RTX.
Sometimes the Nvidia Denoiser fails to clean properly the images; it cleans them but it adds some other artifacts, it seems that it fails to predict the correct results.
I repeat, it doesn't happen always but lately I've notice it more.

I confirm that in the past this Denoiser worked perfectly except of another case where was producing the same defect and then was fixed by Nvidia.

Now the bad part, I can't share a 3D scene due to some restrictions we have in the office (RPBW Paris). Till next Friday I am very busy, eventually later, I can create a sample scene and try again, if the defect appears we can send that scene to them.

Thanks for your support as always.