Author Topic: team render  (Read 4143 times)

2019-05-10, 17:15:34

celmar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello!!!!     I don't find how to set up a team render of Corona: does it needs to install Corona on the other computers? (and what happens with the license?)... Also, how to put the renders in queue, to get the renders overnight!   Thank you for advice!!!

2019-05-11, 12:24:59
Reply #1

celmar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm afraid I didn't ask the good question, with my poor english!  in a single word, to render with team render, do you use the C4d panel, or there is one specifically for corona?... And is it necessary to get a specific license of corona? , I have big size reders to deliver monday, and render with all my computers would be handy!!! thank you for help!

2019-05-12, 00:31:44
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You use Team Render just as you would with any other engine. Yes, Corona needs to be installed on all computers. You can run TR through "Team Render to Picture Viewer", or you can use the web server interface for Team Render (if doing the second, be sure to run the Corona Licensing Server).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-08-28, 15:48:32
Reply #3

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You use Team Render just as you would with any other engine. Yes, Corona needs to be installed on all computers. You can run TR through "Team Render to Picture Viewer", or you can use the web server interface for Team Render (if doing the second, be sure to run the Corona Licensing Server).

Hey Tom,

probably this question has been asked... quite a couple of times. :)

However: I did my first Test with TR today and everything works fine.

BUT: the renders take longer with TR than only rendered on the host machine.
Host: Mac Pro 2019 / 16 cores / 48 GB RAM.
Client: iMac Pro 8 core / 32 GB RAM

I guess the culprit is the fact that I have run this test only over WiFi router... ???
I see that before a still render starts, the network takes some seconds to negotiate. After render is complete, it takes 1-2 seconds to "collect the chunks".
In a test-animation of 50 frames I made, it was difficult to judge, where the extra time came from. I guess also from sending data back and forth in the network?

Installing a local LAN-network would be the solution?
What do you guys recommend? 10 GB-switch is fast enough?

Thanks in advance & greets!

2020-08-28, 15:55:29
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
That can be avoided by going through the TR web interface :)

For using it direct in C4D though, it most likely comes down to the Team Render tab in the Render Settings. Try changing to Arbitrated (Experimental). Also, try changing the Client update interval (raise it) and the Maximum size of packet (raise it). This means larger chunks of data will be sent less often, resulting in less network congestion. The larger the resolution of the image, the larger those need to be. I tend to go with something like updating every 30 or 60 seconds, and a Max packet of 128 or 256.

Let us know if that helps :)

2020-08-28, 19:51:55
Reply #5

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile

For using it direct in C4D though, it most likely comes down to the Team Render tab in the Render Settings. Try changing to Arbitrated (Experimental). Also, try changing the Client update interval (raise it) and the Maximum size of packet (raise it). This means larger chunks of data will be sent less often, resulting in less network congestion. The larger the resolution of the image, the larger those need to be. I tend to go with something like updating every 30 or 60 seconds, and a Max packet of 128 or 256.

Hey Tom,

thanks a lot for your suggestions!
Gonna try it out and give you feedback about success or failure. :)

Greetings!

2020-08-28, 21:11:20
Reply #6

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hey Tom, I have tested your suggestions.

None made the TR result faster... in contrary.
The only thing speeding up TR was switching off Safari... :))) ... so I guess it is indeed the bad data transfer through my WiFi router.
From what I saw in the Render Client, data was exchanged at only +/- 3.5 Mbit/s.

However, considering using the TR web interface method: would it not even worsen things, if one has a slow internet connection (like here in the mountains)?
Or does TR web interface have nothing to do with actual web/internet?

EDIT:
connection test done in the TR-client interface says: "low data transfer, avoid WiFi". :)
« Last Edit: 2020-08-28, 21:34:38 by Designerman77 »

2020-08-29, 00:15:51
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!

Internet speed shouldn't matter, since all your machines are on the local network (ie they run through the router, but not through the modem). It is certainly true that it is better to go with a wired connection to your router rather than wifi, both for stability of signal and speed. I'd try out wiring everything up before thinking of buying a 10G system - I am using a regular household router to connect together three machines, they are all wired, and after tweaking those settings mentioned I had no problem (though I still always prefer to run through the web interface rather than through using TR direct in C4D).

Let us know any further updates!

2020-08-29, 17:51:02
Reply #8

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!

Internet speed shouldn't matter, since all your machines are on the local network (ie they run through the router, but not through the modem). It is certainly true that it is better to go with a wired connection to your router rather than wifi, both for stability of signal and speed. I'd try out wiring everything up before thinking of buying a 10G system - I am using a regular household router to connect together three machines, they are all wired, and after tweaking those settings mentioned I had no problem (though I still always prefer to run through the web interface rather than through using TR direct in C4D).

Hey Tom, thank you very much for your response!

Gonna wire the machines on Monday through a proper switch and try your suggested TR settings again.

Besides, I was asking myself if one could wire the two (or more) Macs directly through Thunderbolt for the TR.
Have you ever tried if TR works over a Mac-"internal" network solution? It should actually work fine... I assume.

Greetings!

2020-08-31, 03:14:12
Reply #9

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!

Hi Tom,

I wired the two Macs by Ethernet and played around with the settings you recommended.

What shortened the TR-render times (only in still images) was putting the "Client update interval" as low as possible (1), while "Max size of packet" being put to the maximum (512 MB).

Regarding my animation tests, I actually don't fully understand why the render process takes longer when two machines render in parallel, even if the client is an 80% slower machine.
The render capacity should actually add up... since render processes overlap, right?
Does the host "wait" for the client to finish its (slower) render before it starts with the next one, so some time is lost on every frame? Or what might be going on, so that TR renders slower than the host alone?

I attached you a screenshot.

BTW: in my animation tests, changing the parameters you suggested has no effect. Only in still images.

UPDATE: I stopped the time with a chronometer and realized that C4D shows a totally wrong render time for the TR.
The real time was NOT 6:38 minutes... but 3:32.
God dammit, Cinema´s timing is totally approximative.... What seemed to be a way longer render was 40% faster than non-TR-render in reality! :)))
« Last Edit: 2020-08-31, 04:13:50 by Designerman77 »

2020-09-10, 18:49:45
Reply #10

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
edit: stupid by me- it lost the activations somehow, reactivated it now seems to render...
« Last Edit: 2020-09-10, 18:57:53 by lllab »