Author Topic: Corona with Vray code  (Read 4864 times)

2017-11-03, 11:49:25

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
Is it just me or ..., but it seems to me that the quality (there are no more those micro details) of the corona has changed?
All new renders give me that weird softness (washed out renders) in depth, materials (with same corona workflow) of vray :(
« Last Edit: 2017-11-03, 11:53:29 by minimaldesign - Blaž »

2017-11-03, 14:55:38
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't think anything regarding tone mapping or post processing has been changed recently, but I am also not sure if I understand your description properly. It would be best if you could post some before/after shots for comparison. Then we could probably explain if there were some changes done regarding this, and if has anything to do with V-Ray (which I doubt).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-11-03, 15:15:24
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yup, some comparative studies conducted (academic, scientific or alike) to prove or disprove assumptions?

Nope, not just you... everyone i ever talked to (working on visuals) has or have had some kind of professional deformation :D

Because, for "it seems like a feeling" know: as a live human being made of flesh, you'll get that a lot. More & more with years working, watching, staring & checking images creating. As our vision, mind, skill, proficiency, body, ... deteriorates, so do our works. This is our BIAS. ;)

2017-11-03, 15:22:17
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Only V-Ray code is the DMC sampler, which showed up in 1.6.3 too. Doesn't affect materials, tone mapping etc, just noise and how fast it clears. Comparative images would definitely help!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-11-03, 15:55:27
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's good to remember that default AA is 2px and that it's rather soft filter to begin with. It's kind of photographic as long as you do some tiny sharpening up, or leave it as is for 4k+ resolutions.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-11-07, 13:55:48
Reply #5

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
Hi all!
I will try to install the old version and make a test of the same scene with both versions. About Corona settings....as always, everything is set to default.
p.s. maybe I'm getting old and I see some of the things differently :)))

2017-11-07, 15:58:33
Reply #6

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Just turn off AA. Get all those crispy details!

2017-11-07, 20:35:09
Reply #7

vlado

• Chaos Group Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There is no V-Ray code in Corona besides the DMC sampler. The DMC sampler doesn't really affect the aspects of the image you mentioned.

[I actually expected that all Corona issues from now on would be indiscriminately blamed on V-Ray. It took longer than I thought it would, but here we are :)]

Best regards,
Vlado

2017-11-08, 00:39:13
Reply #8

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is no V-Ray code in Corona besides the DMC sampler. The DMC sampler doesn't really affect the aspects of the image you mentioned.

[I actually expected that all Corona issues from now on would be indiscriminately blamed on V-Ray. It took longer than I thought it would, but here we are :)]

Best regards,
Vlado

I get a lot of V shaped artifacts lately, so I think that's part of the conspiracy, too!

2017-11-08, 06:45:41
Reply #9

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign

Best regards,
Vlado

I get a lot of V shaped artifacts lately, so I think that's part of the conspiracy, too!

It seems to me too, from time to time...BTW I'm not doing any conspiracy! ;)
P.s. thickness on 3d model is everywhere (floor, wall, etc...)
« Last Edit: 2017-11-08, 06:50:38 by minimaldesign - Blaž »

2017-11-08, 15:47:51
Reply #10

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
looks as low quality of the secondary cache (UHD)  - up it or switch solver to Path could also try if changing sampler to some other helps, could also be reflection/specularity issues (but not since in other places it looks fine) - my first  go would be UHD precision/proximity issues

but really, IDK...
so would you care to share/make a test scene - with similar properties/issue as you have to investigate

2017-11-08, 20:10:16
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What are your UHD Cache settings? You could try changing preset to "animation".
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-11-09, 02:28:33
Reply #12

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
What are your UHD Cache settings? You could try changing preset to "animation".

With a file in attachment, you will probably be able to detect a possible bug and also put blame on V-Ray :)))))
p.s. I think the problem is between left side reflection and right side matt material.
« Last Edit: 2017-11-09, 02:49:20 by minimaldesign - Blaž »

2017-11-09, 06:28:10
Reply #13

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With a file in attachment, you will probably be able to detect a possible bug and also put blame on V-Ray :)))))
p.s. I think the problem is between left side reflection and right side matt material.

As expected, using Path tracing instead of UHD cache helps, dialing up UHD precision from 1 to 20 helps, too (the "wise value" lies somewhere between 1 and 20, but I was far too lazy to check, where ^^).
I'd go for Path tracing anyway, but if there is something buggy, the developers must know.

Just out of curiosity - did you create this scene with an older version of Corona - your sampler is set to "Stratified" whereas for some versions DMC is the default one?

Looking for V shaped artifacts now ;)
« Last Edit: 2017-11-09, 06:35:13 by Cinemike »