Author Topic: Looking for Help on Setting Up a New Dell Monitor for Max/Corona and Windows 11  (Read 1036 times)

2023-02-15, 20:19:03

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I'm looking for your help on setting up my new Dell U2723QE monitor for Max/Corona/Photoshop and Windows 11 in general. Right now, my saved renders are looking different from the VFB when viewed using the Window 11 image viewer or PS. They even look different in PS when pasted from the VFB. I've set my monitor color preset as Space/sRGB via the on-screen menu.

System Settings:

PS Settings:

2023-03-24, 22:25:55
Reply #1

Apostolis Christou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Bronxes Studio
Hey guys, I'm looking for your help on setting up my new Dell U2723QE monitor for Max/Corona/Photoshop and Windows 11 in general. Right now, my saved renders are looking different from the VFB when viewed using the Window 11 image viewer or PS. They even look different in PS when pasted from the VFB. I've set my monitor color preset as Space/sRGB via the on-screen menu.

System Settings:

PS Settings:

Did you figure this out?
I'm planning to get this monitor too.

2023-03-24, 22:39:05
Reply #2

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you figure this out?
I'm planning to get this monitor too.
I think so. After reading a couple of posts from Juraj I decided to:

1) Set my system color profile as sRGB IEC61966-2.1

2) Set Photoshop working space as sRGB IEC61966-2.1

3) Manually set my monitor color mode to sRGB via on-screen menu.

Hope one day Juraj can see this post and let me know if this is the right way.

At least images seem to look the same now. Only place where they sometimes look different is inside WhatsApp (Desktop app). I guess this is something related to the App.
« Last Edit: 2023-03-24, 22:52:15 by Basshunter »

2023-03-25, 09:11:36
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes this is one of the correct ways to do it. Setting monitor color profile to generic profile (sRGB) instead of custom ICC is ok if the monitor is using hardware LUT inside the OSD to manually clamp the final output.
This also solves the fact that 3dsMax, Corona, Windows 11 Photo App, and many other applications are not color managed and will ignore any ICC profile from Windows.

(But in any case, Software Color Management (ICC profiles in Windows) and Hardware Color Management (3D LUT in monitor menu) need to match. So sRGB/sRGB, or DCI-P3/DCI-P3 or CustomICC(srGB)/sRGB, etc.. There cannot be misaligment. These need to match, they only calibrate in pair).

Second option is using full-gamut of monitor (Default profile) or an wide gamut (DCI-P3 for your Dell), and then use https://github.com/ledoge/novideo_srgb/ to clamp colors of the whole Windows on software level. This is good option for people whose monitor doesn't have sRGB mode, like many laptops or gaming monitors.

Third option, is to wait for 3dsMax 2024 which MAYBE will finally have color management of some sort :- ). Then we will be finally able to work in wide-gamut from start to finish, like in DCI-P3.
« Last Edit: 2023-03-25, 09:17:32 by Juraj »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!