Author Topic: PC cases talk  (Read 15712 times)

2019-06-22, 17:06:39

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
BTW, the last case I got was a Be Quiet. Don't recommend it. Not quiet at all in my opinion.

Can you tell the model? I'm thinking about Be Quiet Pure Base as my next case, but if you're saying it's not good...

Edit: I've split discussion from the threadrippers topic. We can discuss about PC cases here.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-25, 21:01:02 by romullus »
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-06-22, 18:48:46
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Romullus, the Pure series is a good case, but with very restricted airflow due to little overdid intakes. That was probably the intent due to accoustics, but it's little on the overdone scale.
I had once considered the 900 model, but when I saw the tests I decided against.

It depends on what sort of build you want to put inside. If you don't overclock, have single GPU and your motherboard has good VRM heatsink, the case is good to go. If you want more powerful build, the ambient inside will be pretty bad and might throttle your CPU and GPU.

Fractal Define series is better compromise in silence and airflow.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-06-22, 19:02:16
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks Juraj for your insights. You are spot on on the build, that i'm planning - no overclock and single moderate GPU. Can't say anything about MB yet, but i'll keep in mind to pay attention to VRM heatsink. I want silence more than i want performance, so that's most important factor for me. I think Fractal cases are slightly on too expensive side for me, but i definitely will try to look at them.

2019-06-22, 19:10:51
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The problem with the intakes on BeQuite is the dotted mesh in intakes, it's too dense (and people cut it away with knife). So to get good airflow, fans would have to run bit faster and thus become louder.

Yes, Fractal has inflated their prices over the years from originally 100 euro cases to 150+ euro cases as they started adding glass panels and lot of tidbits. But there is very little difference between for example Define R5 and R6 and I see the R5 going for 100 euros. in many places.
You could even get smaller DefineC. Define is very silent if you keep only front fans and back fan (keep the top closed). This is mostly because it has side vents in front right before sound dampening foam. It already comes with very good fans which you can regulate down to <700 rpm and the case is the virtually silent (outside of CPU fan which depends on CPU of course).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-06-22, 20:24:47
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I briefly looked at define C and it's indeed looks interesting. Definitely will take it in consideration! Do you have something to say about Nanoxia Deep Silence cases?

P.S. apologies for highjacking threadripper topic.

2019-06-22, 21:37:25
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I briefly looked at define C and it's indeed looks interesting. Definitely will take it in consideration! Do you have something to say about Nanoxia Deep Silence cases?

P.S. apologies for highjacking threadripper topic.

Nanoxia Deep Silence and Fractal Define are so extremely similar I am not sure there are notable differences outside of that split front door :- ). They're definitely from the same factory too.
I don't know anything particular about those and never used them but...I can't imagine them being much better or worse...they're almost carbon copies.

2019-06-23, 21:08:48
Reply #6

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
BTW, the last case I got was a Be Quiet. Don't recommend it. Not quiet at all in my opinion.

Can you tell the model? I'm thinking about Be Quiet Pure Base as my next case, but if you're saying it's not good...

Hi Romulus. The one I got 2 years ago is this one.

be quiet! Dark Base 900 Silver, Full Tower ATX, 3 Pre-Installed Silent Wings 3 Fans, BG012

It started making to types of noise. From the front cover vibrating, and the general humming noise from the rear.

2019-06-25, 21:06:27
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks to Juraj recommendation, i almost made my mind to go with FD Define C. I like very much, how the case is so small, yet so spacious inside. Interestingly, its bigger brother Define S, is even cheaper in my local shop, but i have limited space under desk, so i think C will be smarter choise for me.

2019-06-25, 21:19:05
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yup, Define C is very compact :- ). But it still fits the biggest Air cooler, NH-D15, there will be 5mm left, so very close shave :- ).

Define C only comes with two 12cm fans, to get better airflow and lower noise, it's good to buy 3rd fan and have 2 fans in front in push and single fan in back as pull. Stronger positive pressure will also lead to less dust in the case.

2019-06-25, 21:32:35
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Good idea about 3rd fan, i will add it to my shopping list.

NH-D15 WOW, what a behemoth that is o_O I very doubt that i need such monstrosity :] What would be recommended cooler for 3rd gen Ryzen with no overclocking in mind?

2019-06-25, 22:03:42
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
NH-D15 every single time :- ). Bigger coolers can run much more silently, though some could object to Noctua's higher prices, the quality is absolutely worth it.

With <105W TDP chips, NH-D15 can run @500 rpm, being virtually inaudible all the time, even during turbo clocks (or when Corona hits denoising).

SilentiumPC, BeQuite, Arctic and Scythe also make great and much much cheaper coolers but I never read cooler reviews so I have no idea which one is best for the money.
I've never bought anything else than Noctua since 2012. Doesn't mean others won't be sufficient, but you might need to read up some tests to see how they compare.

Good measure in tests (I think GamerNexus does it like this often) is accoustic normalized performance, i.e how much is temperature delta @ 20 dB.

2019-06-25, 22:18:03
Reply #11

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj,
From aesthetic point of view, what is the model of a case you posted on Facebook a while ago?
I just love the look the look of it, is it Corsair?
Thanks!

2019-06-25, 22:31:08
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thermaltake 71 TG, the cheapest version of this case is 140 Euro, the more expensive ones just come with more RGB fans from Thermaltake...

I don't really love the aesthetic since I like pure boxes lot more but it grew on me when I was building it... And this is very spacious case that's not terribly tall. Very good for water cooling because the board is positioned slightly lower from the top.

2020-01-08, 12:47:36
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Bump: Let's talk about cases here :- )

2020-01-08, 15:47:25
Reply #14

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yo Guys
ordered today this one.

For improving cool performance, the case supports up to eight 120mm or 140mm fans as well as liquid-cooling solutions. In addition, a water cooling bracket is included for mounting a reservoir.

Looks Fantastic, will arrive today or tomorrow :)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1277055-REG/evga_100_e1_1014_k0_dg_86_gaming_gunmetal_grey.html