Author Topic: xeon v4 cpus  (Read 55039 times)

2016-05-18, 18:40:52

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
Does anyone have a machine with the new v4 chips yet?

We are encountering some weird issues, like not being able to set affinity in task manager, and also 'Runtimebroker.exe' going bonkers and using up one core all the time.

thanks for any help

Peter

2016-05-18, 18:45:33
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hm, no idea yet, could be related to processor groups since these have so many logical cores.

But anyway, something quick to try, do you run the latest Bios/Uefi ? Sometimes motherboards arrive on market sooner than final CPUs.

Also what Windows is this ? And does it have all the latest updates ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-05-18, 18:56:39
Reply #2

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj

windows 10 pro, all windows updates installed. The people who put the computer together assure me the bios is fully up to date

2016-05-18, 19:27:41
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Can you better describe "not being able to set affinity" ? At what step does the issue occur ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-05-18, 19:35:49
Reply #4

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
as soon as you click set affinity, you get the error attached

2016-05-18, 19:55:35
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Oh ok, this should be classic Windows elevation issues.

You could either escalate Task manager by clicking "show processes from all users", or typing "r"(run) and then "taskmgr ". Alternatively, you're running an application that running with Admin rights, so you could un-check that.

2016-05-19, 10:33:17
Reply #6

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
I have the same problem, seems to be Windows issue. Only workaround is setting the # of threads in Corona Performance settings to the amount of cores you want to use at the time. I think this happens with computer with over 64 cores.

2016-05-19, 10:45:41
Reply #7

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Had a similar runtime broker issue after installing win 10, non xeon cpu related issue. This helped:
Although, I ended up uninstalling half of windows 10 including cortana, search indexing etc., so I cant recreate or help.
Hope this is not bad info.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-05-19, 10:56:32
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I have the same problem, seems to be Windows issue. Only workaround is setting the # of threads in Corona Performance settings to the amount of cores you want to use at the time. I think this happens with computer with over 64 cores.

Is your UAC completely turned off ? (should be). And do you use elevated task manager ?

2016-05-19, 11:25:33
Reply #9

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
UAC slider at bottom (can you turn it off even more?) elevated task manager - same story.

@sairesart already turned off all notifications, even uninstalled all 'metro' apps from windows 10.

runtimebroker still constantly uses 2.6% of the cpu which means the whole of the windows 10 UI feels a bit sluggish.

starting to suspect windows 10 just doesnt work well with these new chips and its simply a problem they need to fix.

2016-05-19, 11:27:27
Reply #10

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
maybe i should turn off hyperthreading and see if windows 10 prefers having less than 64 logical processors???

2016-05-19, 11:37:26
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You can only disable UAC through registry, and it yields some drawbacks.

If this doesn't correct the issue though, I suggest to take it back. (I think this step requires restart to work...or not, not sure)

2016-05-19, 19:10:20
Reply #12

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
pretty big performance hit disabling hyper threading sadly (on the benchmark i went from 39s to 55s)

i havent had any runtimebroker nonsense since though...

would be VERY annoying if this is an issue with windows 10 and new xeon chips with more than 64 cores....

2016-05-19, 19:11:21
Reply #13

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ps. Juraj, i check the bios and its the latest one (which supports the e5 2697 v4 )

2016-05-20, 09:26:32
Reply #14

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
We have an e5-2690 v1 system (no problems with setting affinity on 36 cores) and e5 2699 v3 (problems with setting affiniti on 72 cores). I`m sure its windows limit issue.