Author Topic: Dual Xeon render node  (Read 8235 times)

2015-07-25, 21:29:00

darceb71

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, this is for the moderator Juraj:

I recall that you built a dual xeon render slave a while ago, is it possible to view the build sheet for that?

Best regards
Darwin

2015-07-26, 13:43:58
Reply #1

darceb71

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anyone else know the setup or can help me out with a dual system?
Tnx.

2015-07-29, 15:22:55
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Of course. But bear in mind this is for LG-2011 v2, there is already LG-2011 v3 right now.

My current workstation build: (it was originally only node but I no longer use it since I mostly use Rebus farm)

2x Xeon E5 2680 v2
Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
64GB (8x8GB DDR3 Corsair 1600)
SSD 850Pro Samsung
Fractal Define XL2 case
BlackNoise 140mm fans (better even than Noctua)
2xNoctua NH-U14S
Goldflower Platinum 1000W (better than Seasonic almost)
Titan-X GPU

If you were to build dual-Xeon now you would already be looking at:

E5 26XX- v3
Asus Z10PE-D8 WS
DDR4 Memory
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-07-30, 01:37:24
Reply #3

darceb71

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tnx for the info Juraj.

Of course. But bear in mind this is for LG-2011 v2, there is already LG-2011 v3 right now.

My current workstation build: (it was originally only node but I no longer use it since I mostly use Rebus farm)

2x Xeon E5 2680 v2
Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
64GB (8x8GB DDR3 Corsair 1600)
SSD 850Pro Samsung
Fractal Define XL2 case
BlackNoise 140mm fans (better even than Noctua)
2xNoctua NH-U14S
Goldflower Platinum 1000W (better than Seasonic almost)
Titan-X GPU

If you were to build dual-Xeon now you would already be looking at:

E5 26XX- v3
Asus Z10PE-D8 WS
DDR4 Memory

2015-08-20, 00:07:29
Reply #4

VIKTORARCH

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj, saw your answer about hardware 2x Xeon E5 2680 v2 that you mention are using only as a node.
Can you say what than you actually using for daily work. If you can say what you use as main , and what as additional.

I currently want to upgrade and want to try to work with corona, so more info is appreciated. And also want to try rebus farm.

Can you say how you work using your machine and when utilize rebus farm or other personal nodes.

Thank you,

2015-08-20, 14:45:02
Reply #5

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Hi juraj, im wondering, you use rebus becouse have too much work and it will be too expensive to have that much render nodes?
Or is it a more cost effective solution for the maintenence and upgrade of nodes itslef?
does each camera has to be uploaded as a complete project to rebus? i mean , each camera position gets send to rebus, how much time does it take for the average scene and how about internet bandwith? how much is enough for this type of work?
thx man :) 
if you no longer use your nodes do you sell them ?? jaja no just joke

2015-08-20, 20:32:18
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The nodes I no longer use I use as workstations, I built each (also Xeons), that way :- ) So they won't ever become useless. Some people come and go occasionally through my 'office'  and they use them :- ).

As I wrote above, I no longer use Xeons as 'node', but as workstation. So that it is, and I use Rebus, for all renderings. Why:

Convenience: I can upload 10 images and get all of them back in 20 minutes. 8K resolution, it would take 2 days using what...40 i7... ? Why would I even bother building that much capacity.
And I love doing things at last moment, not bothering with scheduling, praying something doesn't go bust, having weak sleep because of anxiety. 20 minutes, and I can close the work for day sleeping like baby.

Utility: I only render every quite few days, maybe once a week at most. Additional nodes would be wasted.

Cost effectivity: No, Rebus isn't cheaper in use than your own farm. Personal render farm will always be cheaper, but it has huge upfront cost and you will never get such capacity as cloud solution, which scales flexibly indefinitely.
And I don't care. I charge enough to make the Rebus fee to be nominal among all the costs I charge clients.

Maintenance: Zero. And it's so damn easy. Single button from inside 3dsMax, and it delivers .exrs into their respective folders on my harddrive. Just amazing....it's easier than backburner. Why would I bother installing/cloning nodes even ? Buying additional licences and whatnot... Saves a lot of time and mental well-being.

I was quite sceptical of cloud two years ago, and even told Adam I don't care for Rebus. But now...I can't imagine using anything else.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-08-20, 21:18:08
Reply #7

VIKTORARCH

• Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the answering, Your rig is to pricey for me is it  5960x  to slow for your work and only 2 x10 core Xeons work  for your daily work?
Thanks

2015-08-21, 08:10:49
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Not at all. When I bought 2x2680v2, there was no 5960X, only 4930K. I simply wanted the most performance in single box I could get.

5960X makes perfect workstation capable of massive overclock, reaching into 70perc. of my dual-rig performance in multithreading. Up until last few months, I used my 4930K i7 for workstation.

2015-08-21, 16:15:56
Reply #9

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
One question about rebus, is the cost calculator accurate?
or how much is the aprox price for a 4k render ?

2015-08-24, 04:39:27
Reply #10

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
One question about rebus, is the cost calculator accurate?
or how much is the aprox price for a 4k render ?
hi Daniel, i think the cost calculator has 80-90% accuracy. I have experience when I used rebus for the first time 2 weeks ago, i tried it only for the 10minutes simple designpreview animation (never rendered still image in rebus). them customer service gave me pretty nice interactively service any of my questions. you can ask them like i did :).
beside that, the internet providers in my country has the worst speed and stability in our earth.. if you have superfast internet connection then you must use rebus instead of building own renderfarm, but if your internet connection is not so fast then you must keep away from rebusfarm/ online renderfarm :)