General Category > Hardware

Threadripper 3990x vs 3970x

(1/5) > >>

JF_Jacques:
Looking to get a new build. Current build is an i7-8700k. It works fine, but I'm looking to upgrade.
I use revit-3ds-corona. I spend maybe a quarter of my time in 3ds, but rendering is the bottleneck. What I'm most concerned with is IR speed as I test materials and scenes. Once the thing is rendering, it's not the end of the world.

I see myself having 3 options.
1-  Get the 3970x.
2-  Get the 3990x. 
3 - Wait till new chips come out.

I know the 3970x has a bit of a leg up on single core speed and it's cheaper, while the 3990x is twice as fast with renders. I wonder just how much faster in 3ds it would be than my current 3.7 ghz cores?
Is the extra single core speed noticeable when working with large scenes in 3ds or revit? Is the 3970x a better all-round workflow pic or is the difference not really noticeable?
I know that the Ryzen 5 is also an option - would it be significantly better on single core tasks? I wonder how people feel having used these chips with 3ds and corona?

Also, does anyone know when new chips might be coming out?

twoheads:
I jump the gun but i'll add my two cent anyway.

As a 3970 user I wish i could get 3990 i'll tell you that, but.... 3990x is twice as expensive as 3970, requires more expensive board  and makes sense only with water loop which is much more expensive than noctua.

Ask Juraj for help, he's the guy.

hldemi:
I will say that this depends upon your needs and budget.
I for example bought 3960x and my interactive is almost realtime responsive while renders take up to 10 minutes to render. This is for me ideal since in this 10 minutes I tweak tonemapping and other stuff so I got basically no time loss.
If we consider that unfourtunately 3ds max is still mainly single core, the good tradeoff of single core / multi core is needed.

Now if you do animations or extremely complex scenes in very high resolution and/or are a big studio that has big budget I would say to go for the 3990x. Otherwise I feel 3970x is the sweetspot.

twoheads:

--- Quote from: hldemi on 2021-04-13, 10:52:21 ---I will say that this depends upon your needs and budget.
I for example bought 3960x and my interactive is almost realtime responsive while renders take up to 10 minutes to render. This is for me ideal since in this 10 minutes I tweak tonemapping and other stuff so I got basically no time loss.
If we consider that unfourtunately 3ds max is still mainly single core, the good tradeoff of single core / multi core is needed.

Now if you do animations or extremely complex scenes in very high resolution and/or are a big studio that has big budget I would say to go for the 3990x. Otherwise I feel 3970x is the sweetspot.

--- End quote ---

My sentiments exactly.

Vuk:
The 3990x doesn't require a more expensive board. It can run easily on any of the 16 phase boards and pretty much 90% of the lineup is ok apart from some Asrock budget boards that come with 12 phases if I remember well. As for the cooling, it works perfectly fine with the Noctua U14s cooler you need a water loop only if you are planning to overclock it.

The 3990x is not twice as fast as the 3970x, don't look at the corona render benchmark it is not a real-world scenario. Bigger scenes take more time to parse and will open faster on computers with a higher turbo on a single core. The scenario is this first comes the cpu in terms of scene opening than the hard drive than networking (Cpu>ssd>network). My 3990x is around 80-85% faster than the 3970x.

As for the price it depends from country to country you can get the 3990x for less than twice as much but keep in mind that for 2x3970x you need 2xPSU 2xram kits 2xgpu's and so on. If you can afford the 3990x I would go for it over the 3970x. If you want to wait sure wait but I doubt you will be buying anything new before July or even August.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version