General Category > Hardware

Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)

<< < (269/303) > >>

dfcorona:

--- Quote from: CrocsBlancs on 2021-10-28, 08:44:56 ---Hi guys,

A quick question: I have to choose one of these 2 CPU coolers:

_ Cooler Master ML360 Mirror TR4
_ Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

The store's advice is to go for the Cooler Master as they say the Noctua may not be enough to cool my 3990X even in a push-pull configuration.

Which one would you choose?

--- End quote ---
Noctua can cool just fine the 3990x, as long ad you don't overclock with the PBO. I'm running the 3990x with Noctua.  I did put a stronger fan on it though for even better temps.  If you was going to go with an AIO I would choose the SilverStone IceGem 360, Has full coverage.  I have this AIO cooler now but am yet to install it.

Tom:
Many thanks  @dfcorona,

I just told the store to go for the Noctua as I feel more comfortable with a regular Heat Fan & Sink rather than an AIO (I've never used one): I feel it's just safer, in the sense that the only point of failure is the fans, but it's an easy fix if one of them fails.
Whereas with an AIO, if the pump fails, you run into much bigger troubles, especially if you're on an urgent job and you're close to the deadline. The only solution I can think of in that case is having a spare AIO just for that particular circumstance, which comes with a cost, plus it's not super easy to replace, at least less easy and more expensive than just replacing a defective fan in the case of regular Heat Fan & Sink cooler.

That being said, I definitely want to enable PBO to maximize the rendering power of my cpu so, not sure if the Noctua will be able to cool it down sufficiently or not ... I will keep you updated  :)

Thanks again

dfcorona:

--- Quote from: CrocsBlancs on 2021-10-29, 05:10:56 ---Many thanks  @dfcorona,

I just told the store to go for the Noctua as I feel more comfortable with a regular Heat Fan & Sink rather than an AIO (I've never used one): I feel it's just safer, in the sense that the only point of failure is the fans, but it's an easy fix if one of them fails.
Whereas with an AIO, if the pump fails, you run into much bigger troubles, especially if you're on an urgent job and you're close to the deadline. The only solution I can think of in that case is having a spare AIO just for that particular circumstance, which comes with a cost, plus it's not super easy to replace, at least less easy and more expensive than just replacing a defective fan in the case of regular Heat Fan & Sink cooler.

That being said, I definitely want to enable PBO to maximize the rendering power of my cpu so, not sure if the Noctua will be able to cool it down sufficiently or not ... I will keep you updated  :)

Thanks again

--- End quote ---
the noctua will not be able to do sustained pbo.

Nejc Kilar:
Maybe you should look into the IceGiant's ProSiphon Elite. Supposedly it's doesn't feature the "a leak will kill you" feature but offers pretty much all the benefits.

Btw, does anybody know, what is the verdict on PBO and warranty? Supposedly AMD doesn't allow PBO if you want to keep your warranty but on my motherboard from Asus it came enabled by default.

Tom:

--- Quote from: dfcorona on 2021-10-29, 08:10:17 ---
--- Quote from: CrocsBlancs on 2021-10-29, 05:10:56 ---Many thanks  @dfcorona,

Thanks again

--- End quote ---
the noctua will not be able to do sustained pbo.

--- End quote ---

Really? Well I will probably have to buy an AIO then.
And keep the Noctua as a spare cooler.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version