General Category > Hardware

Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)

<< < (266/303) > >>

Tom:

--- Quote from: Juraj on 2021-06-09, 21:29:01 ---
--- Quote from: dfcorona on 2021-05-11, 17:12:01 ---Any of you guys running the Silverstone IceGem 360? AIO for 3990x?

--- End quote ---

Interesting thing. Looks like almost no reviews although it has been out since January?

--- End quote ---

Here is a review that looks interesting (I didn't watch it entirely):

Tom:
Hi guys,

This is my first post here (second to be honest), so apologies if I'm doing anything wrong here.
First of all, big thank you to all of you for the valuable knowledge you share here, it is highly appreciated.

I'm setting up my new machine which will be dedicated to Arch Viz Corona renderings. I will have someone building the machine for me as I don't want to go through the process myself: I built from scratch a dual Xeon workstation few years ago: in the end it worked really well but I just don't have time to choose each and every component myself, then checking online if they are compatible or not.

So basically I'm coming here to expose the custom setup I've ended with so far, and I hope you guys can give me advice on it.
I ended up with two different setup, a 3970X based, and a 3990X based. The goal is to flag any absurd component choice that could have a negative impact on the overall rendering performance of the machine.

# BUILD 1:
Chassis: be quiet! Silent Base 802 - Black
Motherboard: Asus TRX40 Prime Pro S
CPU: AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 3990X | 4.3 GHz | 64 Cores 128 Threads
Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC V2 - 8GB
RAM: 128GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz (4X32GB | 16-18-18-38)
CPU Cooling System: Noctua NH U14S TR4-SP3
Primary SSD: 500GB Gen4 Aorus M.2 NVME (R: 5000MB/s | W: 2500MB/s)
Secondary SSD: 1TB Gen4 Aorus M.2. NVME (R: 5000MB/s | W: 4400MB/s)
First Hard Drive: 4TB Seagate Ironwolf 5900RPM 3.5"
Chassis Fans: 5 x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm Fans
Power Supply Unit: 1200W FSP 80+ Platinum - Modular

# BUILD 2:
Chassis: be quiet! Silent Base 802 - Black
Motherboard: Asus TRX40 Prime Pro S
CPU: AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 3970X | 4.5 GHz | 32 Cores 64 Threads
Graphic Cards: Asus RTX 3090 TUF Gaming OC - 24GB
RAM: 128GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz (4X32GB | 16-18-18-38)
Cooling System: Noctua NH U14S TR4-SP3
Primary SSD: 2TB Gen4 Aorus M.2. NVME (R: 5000MB/s | W: 4400MB/s)
Chassis Fans: 5 x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm Fans
Power Supply Unit: 850W MSI MPG 80+ Gold - Modular

The store doesn't have a lot of options to choose from for each component unfortunately: I am mainly concerned about the RAM which is 3200MHz in both cases, whereas you guys in this forum talk more about 3600 if I'm not wrong. I'm not sure why the store doesn't provide an option for 3600, anyway I hope these 3200 RAM sticks will do well.

So I plan to go for one of these two builds, not sure which one yet, unless you guys tell me there's something wrong with them.

I need a pretty strong rendering power as I don't have any render farm at the moment plus I don't plan to rely on cloud rendering solutions neither (or exceptionally e.g. when something goes wrong with a client and I find myself having to render multiple 8k images over a night): so I guess I'll probably go for the 3990X build, but, again, I'm happy to have your thoughts on these builds and your advice on the best strategy for the future as I may want to expand my rendering power gradually as I'll get more jobs.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and advice!

Tom:
Hi guys,

I would greatly appreciate your insight on my configuration.
Thank you

romullus:
I'm not colour blind, but i have problems with reading that colourful text, especially the orange one. If you really want to get help, maybe you should stick to plain text formating instead of clowning around with colours?

Tom:
Thank you @romullus : done!
You're right, plain text is better

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version