General Category > Hardware

Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)

<< < (262/303) > >>

lollolo:
Hi

I'm planing to build a new 3990X workstation, but I'm not sure which board and RAM I should choose for that.
It's only for CPU rendering, I don't have any plans to do GPU rendering, so I need just a board which works fine with 3990X.

As example, AsRock Creator costs almost half the price of Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme or Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha.
But is it good enough for 3990X? Could the heat sink be problematic?
Many here used Gigabyte Aorus Master, but this isn't available right now. (at leas where I live)

And what would be your suggestion for a 128 GB RAM setup?
Would G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4x, 32 GB, DDR4-3200 do its job?
For both, I don't want to pay more than necessary, I don't want to catch the last percentage, just a stable build :)

Thanks very much for your suggestions!

Nejc Kilar:

--- Quote from: hldemi on 2021-03-22, 09:47:41 ---At 3,7ghz my average rays drop from 12,800 to 11,600.
Thats around 10% difference. For much lower temperature and power consumption seems very reasonable. But somehow I cannot stand this 10% slower speed. Not effectively but OCD related.

--- End quote ---

OK so I've found a simple setting to cure most of the temperature "problems". Not really problems but you know what I mean :)

So I have PBO set to AUTO which should mean its OFF from what I understand but that clearly isn't the case. If I go under the PBO settings and set the temperature limit (its called something different, can't miss it though) to a custom of say 70 degrees... Well, the CPU won't go over 70c.

It is that simple.

So now I'm getting ~3.9ghz on all cores and I retain a solid 4.3ghz/4.4ghz single core turbo - at least thats what I can monitor from Windows. The rendering speed according to the benchmark is the same as it was with PBO off, maybe sometimes falling behind by 1 second (29s -> 30s).

The temps rarely if ever go above 70c. They go above because my fan curves need a second or two to kick in high speeds :) Rendering over night is constantly at 70c.

Hope that helps :)

hldemi:

--- Quote from: Nejc Kilar on 2021-03-29, 12:34:43 ---
--- Quote from: hldemi on 2021-03-22, 09:47:41 ---At 3,7ghz my average rays drop from 12,800 to 11,600.
Thats around 10% difference. For much lower temperature and power consumption seems very reasonable. But somehow I cannot stand this 10% slower speed. Not effectively but OCD related.

--- End quote ---

OK so I've found a simple setting to cure most of the temperature "problems". Not really problems but you know what I mean :)

So I have PBO set to AUTO which should mean its OFF from what I understand but that clearly isn't the case. If I go under the PBO settings and set the temperature limit (its called something different, can't miss it though) to a custom of say 70 degrees... Well, the CPU won't go over 70c.

It is that simple.

So now I'm getting ~3.9ghz on all cores and I retain a solid 4.3ghz/4.4ghz single core turbo - at least thats what I can monitor from Windows. The rendering speed according to the benchmark is the same as it was with PBO off, maybe sometimes falling behind by 1 second (29s -> 30s).

The temps rarely if ever go above 70c. They go above because my fan curves need a second or two to kick in high speeds :) Rendering over night is constantly at 70c.

Hope that helps :)

--- End quote ---

That sound great Nejc. Will try it. Thanks a lot .

Nejc Kilar:
You are most welcome! Would be curious to hear how it goes for you :)

Juraj:

--- Quote from: lollolo on 2021-03-25, 13:37:48 ---Hi

I'm planing to build a new 3990X workstation, but I'm not sure which board and RAM I should choose for that.
It's only for CPU rendering, I don't have any plans to do GPU rendering, so I need just a board which works fine with 3990X.

As example, AsRock Creator costs almost half the price of Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme or Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha.
But is it good enough for 3990X? Could the heat sink be problematic?
Many here used Gigabyte Aorus Master, but this isn't available right now. (at leas where I live)

And what would be your suggestion for a 128 GB RAM setup?
Would G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4x, 32 GB, DDR4-3200 do its job?
For both, I don't want to pay more than necessary, I don't want to catch the last percentage, just a stable build :)

Thanks very much for your suggestions!

--- End quote ---

All TRX40 motherboard are good this generation, they all work even for 3990X. So you can buy the cheapest you can get, you'll be good. Price point dictates the features, if you don't need those (like dual 10gbit), don't pay more.

Get 4x32 3600 Memory, it will 90perc. work, at worst, it will run 3466, etc.. There shouldn't be much price difference. The G.Skill kits are very good and have well binned Hynix chips.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version