Author Topic: Animation rendering - worsening quality gradually  (Read 3360 times)

2020-07-29, 08:55:38

wanish

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
I was rendering 360 frames animation during last night and strange thing occurs. First frames were the same quality as I tested before on a single frame render, but the quality worsen as the frames goes up.
See the attached comparison from rendering in animation vs. single frame render.

Settings were identical: pass limit 10, GI/AA 14, UHD precision 0.75, everything else default, denoising Corona high quality 0.75 . The animation is interior with static camera, sun and sky as the only light source.

Where might be the problem? Thanks.

2020-07-29, 14:35:34
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Which host software, OS, and Corona version?

What is changing in the scene? This part looks like it hasn't changed, but the scene could have become more complex (somewhere outside of this crop) and 10 passes is no longer enough. Often, noise limit is a better choice for animations for that reason, as 10 passes may be fine while the room is empty, but not enough as furniture animates into view (just to invent a possible animation :) ). Also by default Corona is adaptive, that is, it decides where to put processing power depending on light sources, objects etc. so could be that something in the image outside of the crop is needing more processing power and 10 passes is not enough now for this area to clean up (again, noise limit as a target works better for that reason). Does this happen if you render frame 227 on its own directly (single frame, just 227), or only when frame 227 is reached once running from the start?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-07-29, 15:17:47
Reply #2

wanish

• Users
    • View Profile
The room is empty, only the sun is changing and this occurs only when rendering from the start. I was playing with settings before and figured out that 10 passes with denoiser suits my needs - I attach frame 227 rendered alone as a single frame and also frame 226 from animation rendering from the start. Thanks, I will probably use noise limit if there will be no solution ,)

I am running windows 10 home, cinema 4d R18 and corona 6 daily build from June 30.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-29, 15:53:42 by wanish »

2020-07-29, 16:12:32
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you upload the scene? https://corona-renderer.com/upload

How is the sun being animated btw? Also, are you using the UHD Cache, and if using a Cache (including the 4k Cache which is likely the new default in a daily build) is it set to Animation (flicker free) and is it set to recalculate for each frame or to reuse the Cache? (Most of those questions would be answered if you can upload the scene of course, saving you getting "interrogated" ;)

2020-07-29, 16:26:56
Reply #4

wanish

• Users
    • View Profile
Sun is animating in a standard way via changing the angle, nothing else. UHD cache as GI solver, animation (flicker-free, show previsualization ticked) and precomputation set to calculate from scratch discard after render. I am going to re-render the animation with new 4k chache on freshly installed daily build and let you know if it helped ,)

2020-07-29, 17:21:23
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok! It is curious then as all your settings seem fine and quality should be no different heading straight to that frame and rendering vs. reaching that frame by starting the animation from frame 0. If at all possible, the scene would be super helpful so we can take a look, since as far as I can see so far, this shouldn't be happening. Let us know how you get on with the 4K Cache out of interest too. Thanks!

EDIT, BTW, not using Team Render or any other sort of network rendering by chance?

2020-08-06, 11:12:58
Reply #6

wanish

• Users
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, I can't send the scene file, BUT finally I re-rendered the animation with updated plugin (6.0 rc1) with 4K Cache and it's perfect now ;) Consistent results from first to last frame so it must be something with previous beta version or UHD Cache. I did not use team render, only amd 3950x alone. I can render few frames with UHD cache during the weekend to find out if the problem persists. Thanks ,)

2020-08-06, 13:05:16
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the updated info, and for any extra testing you can do over the weekend to see if the UHD shows the problem still!

2020-08-06, 17:43:40
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I have two guesses:
1) If the position of the sun changed, it could cause some heavy light bouncing which resulted in fireflies.
2) You are using UHD Precision set to 0,75 which is weird. Maybe the UHD Cache did not work as efficiently as it should and could not be reused in some of the frames.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us