Author Topic: Problem when importing 32 bit .exr into PS from CIE/VFB  (Read 3964 times)

2019-01-05, 17:01:53

ynotsop

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, lately I've been reading about linear workflow and doing post processing of 32 bit .exr files. I understand Photoshop comes with its limitations but I was wondering if the following behavior is normal. Whenever I export a 32 bit .exr file from CIE or VFB and then open it with PS there is a noticeable difference between the two. The .exr in PS is much darker.

Please see the attached image.

2019-01-05, 21:06:48
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Just a quick initial question, what are you using to open the EXR in Photoshop? I wouldn't use the native options, but would install the free https://www.exr-io.com/
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-01-05, 21:44:42
Reply #2

ynotsop

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for replying. I installed exr-io but I get the same result. I also get the same result when importing the .exr into After Effects.

Earlier today I was also able to use some adjustments in PS for an .exr but now they are all locked. I've read about this PS bug but I think it is not related to the color issues.

2019-01-05, 21:59:29
Reply #3

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Strange i do not see darker image they are similar maybe  a bit darker on the floor at right VFB image. I have 10bit FRC monitor. Maybe photoshop applying wrong color space at import?
About locking options they are not locked just some of them not working in 32bit mode, to unlocked you need to convert in 16bit\8bit
« Last Edit: 2019-01-05, 22:03:15 by sprayer »

2019-01-05, 22:58:58
Reply #4

ynotsop

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, some just don't work in PS.  This was the case earlier this morning when a few did but now all of a sudden I can't edit any of the adjustments. But this is a separate issue.

Here is another example, left is .exr imported into PS, right is from CIE. Sorry about the size but these were just some test renders. To me the difference seems huge and I read in another post that it really shouldn't be.

2019-01-06, 10:31:14
Reply #5

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What tools didn't work that's not an issue, it just don't work in 32bit mode, maybe before you saved EXR as 16bit and all tools working and now you are saving in 32bit, many tools do not work in this mode, in last photoshop they even turn off camera raw for 32bit, but still there is way to use it. As for difference looking, 3ds max do not have color profile for adopting 32bit image what your monitor can't show you because  it's work in 8bit. but photoshop have many color profile for working space and for your specific monitor so difference will be, also saving 8bit image for web also may be different what photoshop showing you

2019-01-08, 02:44:10
Reply #6

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hello, lately I've been reading about linear workflow and doing post processing of 32 bit .exr files. I understand Photoshop comes with its limitations but I was wondering if the following behavior is normal. Whenever I export a 32 bit .exr file from CIE or VFB and then open it with PS there is a noticeable difference between the two. The .exr in PS is much darker.

Please see the attached image.

do you open it in camera raw? if so then that's a long story. but if you just open it in photoshop, then try to save it as jpg from photoshop and as jpg from the VFB then open both side by side with the native windows photo viewer. there shouldn't be much difference at all.
Although a purist, my work is anything but.
https://www.behance.net/ImageInnate

2019-01-08, 09:37:07
Reply #7

ynotsop

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No I just drag it into Photoshop. If I save one .jpeg from CIE/VFB and one .jpeg from .exr the difference is still there - just like in the photo in my previous post (.cxr VS .exr). It happens in Photoshop CS5, CS6 and After Effects CS6.

Here is another "raw" image without any tonemapping, LUT, etc.

2019-01-09, 14:08:06
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Some differences are expected between what you see in the VFB, what you save to .jpg and what you save to .exr and open in PS - especially in the darkest areas. That's because of color management.
As far as I understand it, when you are saving to .jpg there is a "special" jpg sRGB correction applied to the image, whereas .exr is saved in linear color space, so when you open it in PS, it will be displayed in sRGB on your monitor, but in a different manner than the .jpg. If someone smarter at color management reads this, please correct me. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-01-13, 13:25:02
Reply #9

ynotsop

• Active Users
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2019-01-13, 23:16:48 by ynotsop »

2019-01-13, 14:34:36
Reply #10

ynotsop

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Maru, If I set the 32-bit preview to Unmanaged and set the gamma to 2.2 in Affinity Photo I get exactly the same image as in CIE/VFB. But if I export it as png or tif it exports the darker image. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 2019-01-13, 23:35:32 by ynotsop »

2019-01-14, 11:46:08
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hey Maru, If I set the 32-bit preview to Unmanaged and set the gamma to 2.2 in Affinity Photo I get exactly the same image as in CIE/VFB. But if I export it as png or tif it exports the darker image. Any thoughts?
My understanding is that Affinity photo displays a linear image with gamma 2.2, and png or tif displays a linear image converted to sRGB gamma.
Check out the 2.2 vs sRGB curve here: https://medium.com/game-dev-daily/the-srgb-learning-curve-773b7f68cf7a
I haven't read the article though, so not sure what exactly it is about. ;)

2019-01-16, 10:38:12
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
(started a support ticket 15894 based on this)