Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

Making a custom 3d tile on a curved wall...

(1/2) > >>

kehlje:
Hi forum,

I am trying to figure out the best way to tile the attached map onto the curved facade of a building I'm visualizing. The map is flat but the tiles will be 3 dimensional.

I know I can use this map and make displacement maps that should give it the depth it needs... but would I be better served by investing in something like mighty tile or wall and tile plugin to do it? Or railclone? I'm wondering if the result will be better if I can array the 3d tiles along the curved facade and also get some variation from one of these plugins, but I don't know if they can do curved walls. It doesn't seem like it but I'm not sure -- I've been googling for 5-10 minutes and looking on their webpages but all I see are flat walls.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

-Ben-Battler-:
I would model the smallest tileable sector of the thing and render a ZDepth pass of it for getting a perfect displacement map.
Then you still can apply diff/refl/bump textures using a different UVW Channel.

kehlje:
Hi Ben, thanks for your response -- I'll try this. One thing however -- for the life of me I can't figure out how to do multiple UVW maps with different channels on an object. I see the place to change the channel in the uvw map modifier, but I can't assign more than one material to the object. What do I do in my material editor in order to apply multiple uvw maps to one object?

oncire:
you can do mutiple channel in one object...material>bitmap>map channel>...then apply uvw map modifier and change the value of "map channel" with same value as the bitmap. 

ex.bitmap: map channel = 3 , uvw map: map channel = 3... and so on

-Ben-Battler-:
Exactly, it is bitmap dependend not material dependend. So you only have to assign 1 material. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version