Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

Studio Lighting soft shadows, softbox?

(1/4) > >>

Torsten:
Hey guys,

I need some help setting up nice lighting for a studio setup. The problem i am having is that the lighting isn't creating nice soft shadows, the shadows are to pronounced. I attached the clayrenders, light setup and a screenshot of the scene. I have created a nice soft backdrop plane. I lit the scene using 3 fairly large Arealights. The lighting is composed of two coloured key Arealights, 1x1 m and 2x2 m, Lefty and Right. An additional fill light is placed above the scene, this one is 2x2 m. I vave also loaded a grey color in the environment slot, making the total scene a bit brighter.

In vray I used to use softboxes for arealights, making the shadows a lot smoother . How do i need to set this kind of lighting in Corona. Do i need to make the arealights bigger in dimensions? I would like to keep the sizes of these arealights as close to reality as possible. The dimensions i used in this setup are already a bit too large.

EDIT: I am aware that there are good hdri's available for studio setups, but i really want to be able to control the color and the lighting myself.

Thanks for the help!

maru:
Hi, the result is physically correct so you will need to alter something in order to change appearance of shadows. This should look 99% same in any other renderer which supports area lights. Bigger lights = more blurry shadows. One not so obvious solution might be to increase the brightness of materials (especially the background) - this will reduce overall contrast of GI. You can also try changing light shape to disk, or using a gradient map as their texture.

atelieryork:
Another trick would be to put a thin object in front of the lights. Like a sheet. Like a real-life diffuser. But this would probably make your rendertimes crazy.

romullus:

--- Quote from: atelieryork on 2015-08-28, 12:07:09 ---Another trick would be to put a thin object in front of the lights. Like a sheet. Like a real-life diffuser. But this would probably make your rendertimes crazy.

--- End quote ---

This would be absolutely pointless. Corona lights are already perfectly diffuse unlike their RL counterparts.

Torsten:
Thanks for the help.

How can I put a texture for arealights Maru? Or would you then use a CoronaLightMTL on a plane geometry? I already thought about using a CoronaAO to recreate softbox like lighting.

If i would use a plane with coronaLightMTL, would this deliver the same lighting result as a Corona Arealight? And would this also render as efficiƫnt as an Arealight?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version