Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

Physical material tutorial

(1/3) > >>

jojorender:
Does anybody know a good YT tutorial explaining all the bells and whistles of the new physical material?
So far I avoided using the pbr mat but wanted to try the clear coat feature.
After looking at the help desk article. I have more questions than before.
Why does IOR get greyed out when in “metal” mode? Have I been setting up metal wrong for years?
What does the “Level” setting do in edge color?
Cleracoat: what’s the difference between “Amount” and “Roughness” (when to use what)?
…and so on.

Is it just me or would a dedicated “Normal” channel make sense for a new pbr material?
Most, if not all, tex generators output a normal map and adding the normal shader to the bump in every material by hand is a real time killer…

johnnyswedish:
I second that :-) Still a bit confuzed

CJRenders:
Is it just me or would a dedicated “Normal” channel make sense for a new pbr material?
Most, if not all, tex generators output a normal map and adding the normal shader to the bump in every material by hand is a real time killer…
[/quote]

Just use the BUMP layer in the base layer channel then under the arrow do >Corona>Normal

Nejc Kilar:
Howdy! So we've been kind of hard at work getting a new series of tutorials out and... The first two videos are out today! The series is all about the Physical Material so hopefully they'll help answer most of your questions.

Check out the Cinema 4D version here -
Now because some of the tutorials are still in the making I'd like to try and answer some of your questions here as well.

Why does IOR get greyed out when in “metal” mode? Have I been setting up metal wrong for years?
IOR gets greyed out because metals aren't defined by a single IOR function to begin with - it isn't the wrong way to do it but it isn't quite physical either. It can be done more intuitively and that's what we tried to do with Physical Material.
Metals typically have a curve that is much more complex than the IOR curve. The biggest thing is what happens towards the edges, those grazing angles can even be of a different color and so with the new Physical Material you can use the "Edge color" parameter to define how that behaves - whenever you are using the Metal metalness mode that is. Now strictly speaking, the Edge color parameter is not a scientific way to define every metal - again, every metal has its own "reflection" curve. But, you know, it'll get you there better than that single IOR will. You can also use the Complex IOR feature inside the Physical Material but at that point you are basically splitting hairs - lots of effort for not a whole lot of a result.

What does the “Level” setting do in edge color?
It controls the strength of the reflections on those grazing angles on metals.

Cleracoat: what’s the difference between “Amount” and “Roughness” (when to use what)?
Amount basically defines the strength of it. It can visually also look like how thick that clearcoat is - full amount will look thicker, more reflective.
Roughness controls how rough the surface is on a micro level basically - same as with the base layer roughness just that it only affects that clearcoat only.

Hopefully these answers will be helpful for now. Do make sure to pay to attention to our Youtube channel for more tutorials that'll go more in depth into the new Physical Material :)

jojorender:
Hi Nejc,
thanks for answering my questions and great timing on the tutorial!
I'll watch this weekend.
Still not really “clear” on the clearcoat, but I’m sure you’ll cover this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version