Author Topic: Sketchup to 3DS Max workflow  (Read 1468 times)

2021-11-16, 15:40:29

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Dose anyone model in SketchUp and import into 3ds after?

I have been modelling in SketchUp for a while and want to get the full workflow from SketchUp to max. When I do a simple import it works fine until I start to use chamfer edges and other commands. Is there a way to clean up the SketchUp files once in max?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

2021-11-17, 14:23:57
Reply #1

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
I don't model is Sketchup often, but my approach would to leave off any finer detailed modeling like filleted or chamfered edges, and apply those in Max. Use SU to get your basic masses/volumes figured out, import to 3dsMax, and then use 3dsMax to give the detail.

2021-11-18, 11:47:23
Reply #2

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't model is Sketchup often, but my approach would to leave off any finer detailed modeling like filleted or chamfered edges, and apply those in Max. Use SU to get your basic masses/volumes figured out, import to 3dsMax, and then use 3dsMax to give the detail.

Thanks! I tend to build mainly the walls and 'blocky' type objects in SketchUp then then add the details in Max. Ill keep trying different techniques! 

2021-11-18, 14:58:03
Reply #3

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This goes back to what I was saying in your other thread John.  SketchUp and the likes just fall to pieces when you try and add details in Max like chamfers.  Random verts, unwelded verts etc, basically anything that isn't a box tends to crumble.