Author Topic: Asus Z10PE-D8 WS motherboard beeps?  (Read 25471 times)

2014-11-17, 20:45:44

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The story so far:

A couple weeks ago I bought a new workstation:

Supermicro x10DAi motherboard
2x Intel Xeon E5-2697v3
8x8 Samsung DDR4 ram memory

I got several beeps and had a long mail contact with the support at Supermicro.
With no solution and me afraid of ruining an expensive workstation, I panicked and bought a new motherboard hoping that that would solve my problem.

So I ordered an Asus Z10PE-D8 WS motherboard, installed everything again and STILL getting F/&¤%#% beeps!

So I have for the last hour tried ram-memory module one by one, sometimes I only get one beep and sometimes 2 beeps followed by 1 beep.
I have also updated to the latest bios.

The beeps are 2 short beeps and then 1 short, more high pitched beep.

Does anybody know what the problem could be?

Would appreciate some help if anybody knows :)

/Daniel

2014-11-17, 21:25:48
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I read that you re-seated ram modules one by one, but when it beeps, does your bios (Uefi with Asus) read them properly ?

I.e 8 modules, are all 8 modules being read ? At correct frequency and timing ?

Uefi doesn't read any error ? Everything functions fine and synthetic benchmarks run without issue ?

Read the manual :- ) But it does sound like issue with memory.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-11-17, 21:33:46
Reply #2

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your reply Juraj!

Yes I went for the manual as a first solution :) my specific beeps is not in there, I have built several computers without any problems until now.

Everytime a started the computer it finds the memory modules, all 8 and also one by one. And yes all the 8 modules are being read, in windows it says 64gb (63,9gb usable) and when I boot it says 65536mb ram.

Besides the beeps everything feels slow, POST shows up 2-3 times before starting to load windows and windows 8 is booting up way slower (like twice the time) than my i7 3930k with windows 7.

No errors, everything it working except those beeps and that it feels slow, and it shouldn´t beep at least!

2014-11-17, 21:53:05
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What do synthetic benchmarks say about performance ? Does for example Passmark record the score you would expect ?

I only remember beep issues when the board struggled with particular memory setup. For example my asus z9pe-d8 ws never really accepted the memory at 1600 at correct timings, forcing me to lower it to 1333 despite it being "officialy" supported.

Since you have 2 shorts and then one short, could perhaps the issue be in those first two ?

Ie: first "short two" -- HDD Issue
     second "short one" Can't detect keyboard (not really issue at all since Windows will, I think I have this on few PCs )

Did you try swapping the HDD ?

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-11-17, 22:02:18
Reply #4

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will run Passmark I get back to you on that one!

I see, I build and installed a z9pe-d8 ws with 2x xeons at my former job and after bios update everything ran smoothly.

I tried swapping the ssd drive with another ssd drive and the same beeps occur, so that doesn´t seem to be the problem either.. this is weird!

Have you made a build with the Z10PE-D8 WS board?

I´m really running out of ideas of what could be wrong...

Thanks for trying to help me! :)

2014-11-17, 22:12:39
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Have you made a build with the Z10PE-D8 WS board?

Edit:Sorry I am retarded and it's late. The Xeon build yes, same board, but that won't be finished as fast, I am only finishing the 5960X this week.

« Last Edit: 2014-11-17, 22:26:56 by Juraj_Talcik »

2014-11-17, 22:26:47
Reply #6

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hopefully your build will work correctly! :)

Now I tried to switch graphics cards from Geforece Gtx 980 to an old Geforce 470 gtx (I think) and now I got 1 beep and then 1 beep for no keyboard.

Don´t now what the first beep is about though...

In one of you dual xeon builds do you use Windows 8? If so, do you feel that it´s slow to load?

For me it´s about 1,5-2+ min from push on start button to login screen! (Well, the login screen disappeared now and it´s only a gray screen...)

2014-11-17, 22:28:47
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

In one of you dual xeon builds do you use Windows 8? If so, do you feel that it´s slow to load?

No, it's very fast. Of course, not as fast as i7, since these boards have far more features that get to load, but still very fast, I would say sub 20 seconds into desktop ?
Windows 8.1, 840Pro Samsung SSD.

2014-11-17, 22:33:28
Reply #8

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, I would accept like 30 seconds but rou 20sec sounds like it should, so something if obviously wrong.

I´m using an Vector 150 256gb ssd and windows 8.1 pro 64-bit.

I tried installing windows 7 before (with the Supermicro motherboard) but got the same slow loading times.

Anyway looks like I´m stuck with problems with this build haha!

2014-11-17, 22:37:05
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Which exact Samsung Memory is it ?

2014-11-17, 22:40:13
Reply #10

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have 8 modules of these:

Samsung 8GB DDR4 ECC REG 2133Mhz x4 SR
Art no M393A1G40DB0-CPB

The Passmark you mentioned did you mean this one? http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

UPDATE: Okay so now I removed the previously used SSD and only had the second one attached. I installed Windows 8 on the second one (it seems like the Windows 8 installation is different every time I do a clean install?) and now I get the following result:

Only one beep with a boot-up process like this:
0sec to about 38sec - first now does the monitor turn on (seems like a very long time?)
38sec to about 49sec - first POST messages shown (one shorter message and then the computer specs)
49sec to about 60sec - second POST messages shown, again one shorter message and then the computer specs

After that it shows the Windows 8 logo and loads for about 3-5sec before I get the login screen.

2014-11-18, 09:48:32
Reply #11

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2014-11-18, 14:04:22
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Could it now be some bios-settings I´m missing?

You can always reset it to factory default.

But I don't think so. I feel your pain, troubleshooting is terrible.

2014-11-18, 15:07:54
Reply #13

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried that without any luck.

Thanks for trying to help! :) Yeah I´m not a big fan of troubleshooting.

I will try to sort this out and also contact Asus.

At least the first 2 beeps are gone and Windows 8 loads in seconds when I switched SSD drive so thanks for that tip!

I got my money back for the faulty SSD so I ordered a Samsung 850pro, and will use that for the OS and the other one for local projects :)

I can keep you/this thread updated regarding the answer I get from Asus, if you run into the same problems with your motherboard but hopefully everything will work! :)

2014-11-18, 17:30:38
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I tried that without any luck.

Thanks for trying to help! :) Yeah I´m not a big fan of troubleshooting.

I will try to sort this out and also contact Asus.

At least the first 2 beeps are gone and Windows 8 loads in seconds when I switched SSD drive so thanks for that tip!

I got my money back for the faulty SSD so I ordered a Samsung 850pro, and will use that for the OS and the other one for local projects :)

I can keep you/this thread updated regarding the answer I get from Asus, if you run into the same problems with your motherboard but hopefully everything will work! :)

Ok, it could have been multiple things :- ). 850Pro is excellent choice, with 3DNand now far more safe also.

Could you try re-seating your GPU into other PCI-Express slot perhaps ? What GPU is it ? Does it get enough power ?