Author Topic: Vray Quality  (Read 2694 times)

2021-10-30, 19:58:54

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just wanted to have a conversation on Vrays Quality vs say Corona or Fstorm.  Every time I see a render with Vray now I can tell it's a Vray render and looks, well like CGI.  Other renderers like Corona look way more realistic.  Now I know Vray does some amazing realistic rendering for Movies, but I'm talking Archviz.  I'm not sure if it's the GI or the Tone mapping but I recently tried Vray and it was not even close to as realistic as Corona. There translucency for leaves and such I find terribly fake compared to Corona, you also seem to loose a lot of reflection with it.  Not to mention it crashed a lot.  Another thing, I see everywhere that Vray is much faster to render especially for animations.  I have the opposite conclusion, Corona always seemed to render faster and cleaner. I'm just surprised since Chaos Group owns both, I'm sure they test scenes against each other and see the results? Just thought it would be a interesting conversation.

2021-10-30, 20:15:37
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Another thing, I see everywhere that Vray is much faster to render especially for animations.  I have the opposite conclusion, Corona always seemed to render faster and cleaner. I'm just surprised since Chaos Group owns both, I'm sure they test scenes against each other and see the results? Just thought it would be a interesting conversation.

There are millions of people working in different styles, having different requirements, habits, and understanding the renderers in a different way. That often leads them to produce vastly different results and come to different conclusions. Which BTW means it makes sense for us to keep developing 2 renderers ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-01-08, 18:50:45
Reply #2

Liftmode

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona is just better. That's a broad statement, but I feel it's true. BTW, is Corona ever going to have a GPU-based version? The speed increase would be exponential.