Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1086065 times)

2013-02-06, 13:58:33
Reply #30

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
The Vray conversion methods are far from perfect, MR works great - Vray is a bit harder to do. I made a note for your wish and I will implement it next time :) Thanks for your input
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-02-06, 16:16:48
Reply #31

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Would it be possible to make the converter two-way...? To be able to convert CoronaMTL to Arch&Design for comparison purposes? :)

2013-02-06, 16:36:14
Reply #32

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Yes, it shouldn't be a big problem but needs a bit work. I would have to duplicate and "reverse" the function - it is not a simple right-side/left-side thing ;) . Several conversions branch a little different and are dependent on other settings (as you know of course).
Tbh, I don't really understand the "comparison purpose" but if you need to convert corona scenes back to MR I will make a note on my to-do list and implement it next time :)

2013-03-11, 11:14:05
Reply #33

radiosity

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2013-03-18, 12:16:45
Reply #34

MatEvil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.art2upz.com
I try to convert a scene from 3DS Max 2008 and Mental Ray... I used the scripts and:

-  on pro-material/autodesk library don't works and in some case go to crash

- on some Arch&Design material with refraction don't convert

Matteo
CG Artist specialize @ Fluid and Dynamic
www.art2upz.com

2013-03-18, 12:43:12
Reply #35

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I try to convert a scene from 3DS Max 2008 and Mental Ray... I used the scripts and:

Unfortunately I don't have 2008. It might be possible that the script uses methods which are from future releases and that may cause malfunctions/crashes.
I never tried scenes with pro/autodesk materials (I never used any of these so thb I've no idea what those are)

Should not be happening but may be related to the upper problem. If you find such a material you may want to upload it here (or send it to me) as a matlib and I'll have a look :)

2013-03-18, 14:00:44
Reply #36

MatEvil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.art2upz.com
Don't worry... it's a fast test (you can find here http://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,563.0.html ) and it's a old scene... also Pro-Material is lost/change with MetaSL, but I don't use it....

Unfortunately I don't have 2008. It might be possible that the script uses methods which are from future releases and that may cause malfunctions/crashes.
I never tried scenes with pro/autodesk materials (I never used any of these so thb I've no idea what those are)

Should not be happening but may be related to the upper problem. If you find such a material you may want to upload it here (or send it to me) as a matlib and I'll have a look :)
CG Artist specialize @ Fluid and Dynamic
www.art2upz.com

2013-03-18, 14:09:15
Reply #37

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Ok, abandoned plugins may indeed be a bit problematic for the script ;)
If you encounter any new bugs don't hesitate to post them :)

2013-03-18, 19:22:14
Reply #38

rogerBacon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. First all, congratulations for your great work with this script. I have tried it with arch&design materials and work great!

I have found a bug:

The script doesn't take care of the mutli/subObject materials INSIDE other multi/subObjet material.

(I hope this is the right place to post this)

2013-03-18, 19:43:05
Reply #39

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Glad you like it :)

Multisub-materials inside multisub-materials? Why would you want to do that? I'm a bit surprised that the script does not convert those but I'm not sure if this would have an effect anyways (in the rendering). Which sub-sub-material does the renderer choose if you have one sub in another?

Ok, I'll have a look at it, but I'm still curios ;)

And yes, this is the right place for posting bugs :)

2013-03-18, 19:48:43
Reply #40

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yo-dawg/inception/recursive multimtls are not supported by corona either ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-03-18, 20:02:52
Reply #41

rogerBacon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, I'll have a look at it, but I'm still curios ;)

I don't like 3dsmax scene states. Sometimes, doing architectural work, I have to make different versions of the materials. I use a multi/subObject and then, on the modifier stack I add a 'material' modifier. Very easy to change from one material to another. If is only a part of the mesh what changes materials, then I have a multi inside another multi. (I know everyone is going to say there are betters workflows, but I'm quite happy with that one)

2013-03-18, 20:38:41
Reply #42

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Quite clever method after all :) As long as you can work with it, it sure is ok.

hmm... I just tested around a bit but I can't find a bug. Each of the 3 conversion methods works as expected.

I attached a before-after image below. Did you mean something else?

2013-03-18, 21:13:34
Reply #43

rogerBacon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I attached a before-after image below. Did you mean something else?

Nop. That is what I did, but the script missed the materials nested in the second multi/sub. I solved it by removing the nested multi/sub and choosing one of the arch&design materials, and only after doing that the script saw those materials.

I will try to reproduce the bug and will try to give some more info about it.

Thanks!!!!!

2013-03-18, 21:31:33
Reply #44

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
There is only single level of material IDs, so having nested submaterials does not make any sense. When I parse it, I just take the first submaterial of the nested multimtl.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)