Author Topic: Render Settings - Image Not Sharp  (Read 3609 times)

2021-04-20, 22:10:20

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Hope you will be able to give me some tips, When rendering out my image it seams to come out blurry and not as sharp as the images I have seen on the gallery.

Any advice would be extremely helpful

Thanks!

2021-04-21, 02:39:01
Reply #1

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't see blurryness. I see low resolution and noise.

2021-04-21, 10:24:55
Reply #2

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I see low-quality displacement settings. Try turning your displacement pixel size down to 1 or .5...
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-04-21, 11:21:11
Reply #3

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replays, I will give them a try today.

Is it possible to share a standard setup with me, just so I can copy the setting and apply them to my render?

2021-04-21, 12:03:11
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you think that your render lacks sharpness (which i think it does not), then standard procedure is to apply it in post, either in Corona VFB, or externally in photoshop or somewhere else. There's no render setup that would make your renderer significantly sharper, but there are some settings that may help you in certain areas. For example, if you think that your textures are too blurry, then you should look at bitmap filterring and blurring settings in each texture node. On the other hand, if you feel that overall image is a bit too soft (especially on high contrast areas), then you can try to decrease image filterring radius in render setup and/or change image filter type to a sharper one. In any case, don't expect to see significant changes. If you need even more sharpness, then as i said above, apply it in post. All in all, it's always good idea to render a little bit softer and apply sharpening later. Remember - you can easily sharpen soft image in post, but it's much harder to soften oversharpened image.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-04-21, 14:14:32
Reply #5

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you think that your render lacks sharpness (which i think it does not), then standard procedure is to apply it in post, either in Corona VFB, or externally in photoshop or somewhere else. There's no render setup that would make your renderer significantly sharper, but there are some settings that may help you in certain areas. For example, if you think that your textures are too blurry, then you should look at bitmap filterring and blurring settings in each texture node. On the other hand, if you feel that overall image is a bit too soft (especially on high contrast areas), then you can try to decrease image filterring radius in render setup and/or change image filter type to a sharper one. In any case, don't expect to see significant changes. If you need even more sharpness, then as i said above, apply it in post. All in all, it's always good idea to render a little bit softer and apply sharpening later. Remember - you can easily sharpen soft image in post, but it's much harder to soften oversharpened image.

Thanks for that, I can have a play around with some of these settings today and see if they work any better.

Any chance you would be able to share a typical setup for me to copy?

2021-04-21, 15:09:36
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Typical setup? You mean render settings? I honestly can't remember when last time i used anything else than default settings. Unless you have some specific issues, there's not much reason to fiddle with render settings.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-04-21, 15:26:29
Reply #7

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Typical setup? You mean render settings? I honestly can't remember when last time i used anything else than default settings. Unless you have some specific issues, there's not much reason to fiddle with render settings.

Yeah like a typical size to render at / Pass limit or anything like that

Sorry about all the questions, quite new to rendering

2021-04-22, 10:16:42
Reply #8

Bjoershol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Resolution kind of depends on where the image is going to be displayed, but there is nothing wrong with the resolution you are using in the example you posted. It's pretty close to the standard "4K" resolution.

I agree that the problem probably isn't sharpness in the image, but rather that you should focus on working with your materials and lighting.

From what I can see in the image, it looks like there is a problem with the displacement on the roof and brick materials. Like already mentioned, you could go to Render setup -> displacement -> screen size = 1. But the default size of 2 should be fine unless you are doing a high quality final render.

Remember that if you are moving the camera during interactive rendering, you need to restart the render for displacement to update - it only calculates what is visible in the viewport when you first start the render.

Also, try modeling the wood slats instead of displacing the material - try something like the Floor Generator plugin, it's perfect for stuff like this if you tweak the size / spacing / extrusion.

https://cg-source.com/FloorGenerator

2021-04-23, 16:57:13
Reply #9

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Resolution kind of depends on where the image is going to be displayed, but there is nothing wrong with the resolution you are using in the example you posted. It's pretty close to the standard "4K" resolution.

I agree that the problem probably isn't sharpness in the image, but rather that you should focus on working with your materials and lighting.

From what I can see in the image, it looks like there is a problem with the displacement on the roof and brick materials. Like already mentioned, you could go to Render setup -> displacement -> screen size = 1. But the default size of 2 should be fine unless you are doing a high quality final render.

Remember that if you are moving the camera during interactive rendering, you need to restart the render for displacement to update - it only calculates what is visible in the viewport when you first start the render.

Also, try modeling the wood slats instead of displacing the material - try something like the Floor Generator plugin, it's perfect for stuff like this if you tweak the size / spacing / extrusion.

https://cg-source.com/FloorGenerator

Thank you very much for the advice. When I test around with a render tomorrow I will post a improved version. Be helpful to get a review on it and any changes you would make after I improved

2021-04-26, 10:46:38
Reply #10

Bjoershol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No problem! Since you are new to rendering, maybe consider posting to Gallery / Learner's Corner for general feedback - or maybe one of the mods can move this topic there. :)