Author Topic: mayaToCorona 0.42  (Read 16963 times)

2015-10-13, 22:08:13

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay, here we have a new version.

a lot has changed in this version. We now use the newest API. All the changes result in some incompatibilities with older scenes.
For that reason there are no example scenes for this version, I will have to setup new ones. For the same reason there are no docs any more.
The pdf is really outdated. Plese refer to https://corona-renderer.com/doc/ most of the info is valid for 3dsmax and as well for mayaToCorona.
A few elements are not yet readded. e.g. the saving and resumig rendering does not work at the moment. It will work again in the next release.
The corona framebuffer is disabled as well in this version until I find the time to implement it correctly.
We have no version for Maya2014. I was unable to compile it correctly with the newest API.

Here is a (I fear incomplete ) list what has changed.
- reworked the CoronaSurface UI
- fixed render stamp visibility
- added light directionality
- added mesh/area light double sided option
- fixed some physical sky problems
- added area light render attributes
- added texturing for area lights
- redesigned render globals UI
- added wire/AO/Sky shader
- reimplemented coronaMap for image files like IBL with colorBalance and placement
- implemented the new Maya2016 Hypershade material viewer

Some workflows have changed:
- Corona sky is now a map instead of a hard coded setting in the render globals. If you want to use a sky shader, simply create a sky
- round corners is now a seperate node wich should be connected to the bump attribute of the corona shader. This has to be done via connection editor, the normal connection via bump will create a 2d bump node by default.
- if you want to mix round corners and normal bump, then you can connect the outNormal of a 2dBump node to the normalCamera input of the roundCorners node. This should work, but it only works this way not vice versa.
- we have a wire and ambient occlusion shader, but these cannot be freely combined with maya shading nodes, they will only work if they are directly connected to a corona surface.

I expect that you will encounter some more bugs in this release because of the amount of changes.
Please test as hard as you can and report any problem you have.

Layered shading does not yet work correctly, I try to fix it for the next version. Please test the Maya2016 Hypershade material viewer, I had some issues with not updating materials correctly here, please check if you encounter the same issue.

2015-10-13, 23:39:04
Reply #1

AndrewAdler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Photographic Exposure crash Maya.

Hello everyone.
when i do my first render with Simple Exposure - everything ok
when i switch to Photographic Exposure - Maya always crash
------------------------------
i did some simple test with (material reflection, refraction, .exr files)
WOW wow WOW (with simple settings)
How light is travel, reflect and refract - It looks very Great

Maya 2016 Extension 1 + sp3

« Last Edit: 2015-10-14, 00:32:59 by AndrewAdler »

2015-10-14, 06:15:42
Reply #2

max45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How looong have we been waiting for :)

2015-10-14, 13:58:20
Reply #3

max45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
-Again rendering with textures very slow. This is a problem №1! When it is planned fix it?
Many crashes when connect file node
-Photographic Exposure crash Maya.
Others not tested,  impossible to work without textures

2015-10-14, 14:44:41
Reply #4

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
-Again rendering with textures very slow. This is a problem №1! When it is planned fix it?
As soon as I know how to fix it.... as long as it is not mentioned in the release notes, there will be no speedup for this problem.

Many crashes when connect file node
Any repeatable crash? Does it happen in a special situation?

Others not tested,  impossible to work without textures
Okay, so you cannot test sky shader, round corners, wire shader, ambient occlusion shader, IBL with color balance and placement control for file node without textures?

2015-10-14, 16:06:32
Reply #5

max45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I prefer testing on projects. All with textures.
Speed slow down dramatically. A6 MAX woks fine. I wrote about it 0.40...
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,7986.0.html
Scene witout any light, only object. Assign any texture speed slow down.

-Crashes when connect file node - random.  Create object-assign shader- click checker-select file node-crash.

-Tesing AO, IBL,...  should not on spheres and on projects..

2015-10-14, 22:36:30
Reply #6

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmmm... I just tested it once again. I created a small scene with about 15 highres textures. I rendered, after 22 minutes, the rendering didn't even start.
Then I converted all textures into tx files and after 6 seconds, the rendering was done. Maybe I need a more complex scene to do real tests.

2015-10-14, 22:51:39
Reply #7

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it possible to implement auto-mipmap at rendering time then?  Arnold has an option for that.  It converts all textures to mipmaps for the render view I think.  I think it could make working with normal texture files more manageable than waiting for a very long time like you said.  I'm experiencing a lot of crashes too with the new version, I'm trying to figure out precisely what cause them, but it seems to be related to the 2016 hypershade.

I kinda agree with max45 on some points, people are not used to work with tx.  A big part of the look dev process is to browse your library and try a large number of files in your shader.  Converting to tx before seeing the result can be a difficult workflow.

I did not try yet, but if you say that tx performance is fast, I think you just have to dedicate a cache folder for corona maya on your disk, compare files (has the texture changed?  Need to re-convert?) and convert to tx at rendering time and you're all set for the future.

Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-10-14, 23:50:17
Reply #8

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I think the crash is caused by  the presence of a file node in the hypershade.  I had a scene with a textured sphere opened for a long time.  As soon as I opened the hypershade it crashed again.
Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-10-15, 04:00:16
Reply #9

max45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
.tx not solve the problem.
Assign one shader, one texture -  white fill 256px X 256px.jpg!
Without texture 2438378 rays
With texture         364739 rays    Truble!!!

Test on Sphere:
-Start New scene
-Create Sphere
-Assign Shader with texture
Without texture 20 million rays
With texture        6 million  rays  Truble!!!

2015-10-15, 06:43:42
Reply #10

Hamburger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Haggi.

Photographic exposure crash for me too - it is a UI bug. Maya 2016.

edit: cool you really did a lot of work on region rendering. :)
« Last Edit: 2015-10-15, 06:52:00 by Hamburger »
Maya 2016
Windows 10

2015-10-15, 09:33:50
Reply #11

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it possible to implement auto-mipmap at rendering time then?  Arnold has an option for that.  It converts all textures to mipmaps for the render view I think.

I kinda agree with max45 on some points, people are not used to work with tx.  A big part of the look dev process is to browse your library and try a large number of files in your shader.  Converting to tx before seeing the result can be a difficult workflow.

Arnold does not convert automatically to tx. It has a texture manager which simplifies the process. And of course I can implement a pre-render script which does the conversion automatically, but hey, it's still an alpha version :)
The photographic exposure has a bug, it is solved in the next release.

2015-10-15, 09:35:24
Reply #12

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
edit: cool you really did a lot of work on region rendering. :)

Ehmmmm... no, I did not change anything in region rendering. But I'm happy it works better ;)

2015-10-15, 09:36:31
Reply #13

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I think the crash is caused by  the presence of a file node in the hypershade.  I had a scene with a textured sphere opened for a long time.  As soon as I opened the hypershade it crashed again.

Thanks for testing, that's really strange. I try to reproduce the problem.

2015-10-15, 13:46:19
Reply #14

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It converts all textures to mipmaps for the render view I think.

The explanation is in the Auto-Mipmap section:
https://support.solidangle.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=13436160
Maya 2016, windows 10