Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524926 times)

2022-05-24, 01:05:06
Reply #990

yagi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Pls, there's no thread to the topic ""Further improvements to Chaos Scatter"" yet?

Its an amazing addition that can only get better. Here are my early suggestions:
I hope they have plans to add an ANIMATED feature for Vegetation, Humans and Cars.
I hope they throw in some time lapse HDRI s too
...and I'm personally requesting for more colored human posed models in your collection, in both formal and traditional attires. you would be surprise how many African nations are into corona. ;)

There's a lot Chaos Scatter can offer with time but I wish they could implement the above requests as updates way before corona 9.

Thanks to the corona team.

2022-05-24, 09:08:21
Reply #991

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Reset votes since new version was released and new ideas were added.
You can check the tentative road map for the next version here: https://trello.com/b/EfPE4kPx/corona-tentative-road-map-3ds-max
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-05-24, 10:30:27
Reply #992

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
If you add "Improvements to caustics", then "Improvements to 2.5d displacement" should not be missing? Imho way more users suffer from displacement issues by comparison.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-05-24, 10:42:15
Reply #993

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Pls, there's no thread to the topic ""Further improvements to Chaos Scatter"" yet?

Its an amazing addition that can only get better. Here are my early suggestions:
I hope they have plans to add an ANIMATED feature for Vegetation, Humans and Cars.
I hope they throw in some time lapse HDRI s too
...and I'm personally requesting for more colored human posed models in your collection, in both formal and traditional attires. you would be surprise how many African nations are into corona. ;)

There's a lot Chaos Scatter can offer with time but I wish they could implement the above requests as updates way before corona 9.

Thanks to the corona team.

Did you mean Chaos Cosmos? I don't think that your requested things has anything to do with Chaos Scatter.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-05-25, 08:25:16
Reply #994

triget

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can check the tentative road map for the next version here: https://trello.com/b/EfPE4kPx/corona-tentative-road-map-3ds-max

After reset "GPU/Hybrid rendering" still on top :))))) When will developers listen to users? If you want more money per month, start listening to your users.
« Last Edit: 2022-05-25, 08:29:18 by triget »

2022-05-25, 11:14:31
Reply #995

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
When will developers listen to users?

To some extend Corona war born because of listening to users :)

"GPU/Hybrid rendering": You have to understand that it is like buying a diesel locomotive and then crying for a solution to drive it by battery.

Good Luck

2022-05-25, 11:42:59
Reply #996

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
When will developers listen to users?

To some extend Corona war born because of listening to users :)

"GPU/Hybrid rendering": You have to understand that it is like buying a diesel locomotive and then crying for a solution to drive it by battery.

Good Luck

I never understood why that option was on this list in the first place. The official answer to that request was always that it isn't possible to develop (reasonably speaking). It's a complete redo of Corona.

2022-05-25, 12:04:57
Reply #997

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I never understood why that option was on this list in the first place. The official answer to that request was always that it isn't possible to develop (reasonably speaking). It's a complete redo of Corona.

I get the reasoning behind why it's tricky for the developers but hear me out: CPU's are a dead end for render engines unless you have unlimited resources.

Lets look at recent shifts in the hardware space objectively. Lets take the Threadripper platform, the 3970x & 3990x are dead ends - single sockets that only lasted a generation and are now not even being made by AMD. AMD then decided to shaft everyone with "Threadripper Pro", costing 2x as much for just the CPU, then locked it down further forcing consumers to buy a full system from Lenovo. It's questionable whether AMD will ever make a non-pro "affordable" Threadripper again.

Current reports are intel are still scrambling around to get anything close to a 3990x.

Now lets look at Nvidia: you can get a 3090 for £1400 retail. You can stick as many of them as you want in any high PCIE lane motherboard going back generations, DDR RAM version agnostic. Reports are the 4090 is set to double the 3090 in performance.

With the above in mind, tell me objectively which method of rendering offers consumers/businesses the best generational leaps in performance, flexibility, upgradeability and cost?
« Last Edit: 2022-05-25, 12:32:52 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2022-05-25, 12:24:49
Reply #998

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
CPU's are a dead end for render engines unless you have unlimited resources.

I don't want to discuss this because it means talking about a timeline where offline renderers may not even exist at the end.

But please quote properly, the statment you quoted was from lupaz, not from me.

Good Luck

2022-05-25, 12:31:10
Reply #999

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
CPU's are a dead end for render engines unless you have unlimited resources.

I don't want to discuss this because it means talking about a timeline where offline renderers may not even exist at the end.

But please quote properly, the statment you quoted was from lupaz, not from me.

Good Luck

Edited my post to correct the quote. If offline renderers won't exist in the future...that's even more of a reason to get onboard the GPU train.
Vray who?

2022-05-25, 14:08:27
Reply #1000

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
We've been hearing "This is IT! This is the death of offline renderers! They won't exist any more!" for the last oooh 10 years or more. And yet here we all are. It's kept on the poll to gauge how people are viewing it, always worth keeping track of that so we can consider our plans and approach, but it does continue at the moment as "no plans for GPU rendering".
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-05-25, 17:11:49
Reply #1001

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
We've been hearing "This is IT! This is the death of offline renderers! They won't exist any more!" for the last oooh 10 years or more. And yet here we all are.
Hum well, ok, but things have changed quite a bit I'd say. When you see that things like for example "In Vaulted Halls Entombed", one the last Love Death & Robots episodes, has been rendered with Unreal AFAIK ... let's talk about it in 10 years ;)
Any trolling or so apart, I think there will still be room for both kinds of renderers for some time. That doesn't mean neither one can still ignore the possibilities of real time engines .
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2022-05-25, 17:16:59
Reply #1002

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
After reset "GPU/Hybrid rendering" still on top :))))) When will developers listen to users? If you want more money per month, start listening to your users.
Sorry, we just hate money :-X :D

The reason this is included is that we want to see how many people want this. This poll is not a binding contract that we need to blindly obey, even if it would mean stopping regular updates for 3 years. It is just a way to scout the market.

NicolasC: you are mixing "GPU rendering" and "real time rendering". "GPU Corona" would not be 60 FPS game engine. It would be an offline ray tracer ported to GPU, with some features missing, but able to scale with multiple GPUs in a single machine.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-05-25, 18:26:38
Reply #1003

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, the layered shading system with the ability to add several layers of clearcoat and thinfilm with the correct interaction can be sooo useful, because when creating any material that goes beyond the standard framework even a little, the basic physical material is inferior even to legacy and you have to come up with very tricky ways every time and about the fabrics I'm not even talking)  It's a pity that this item is not upvoted as well as for a separate fabric shader

Voting with both hands for these 2 features :D after geopattern and lens effects of course!)

2022-05-26, 13:14:03
Reply #1004

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Just want to say that V8 feels like one of the best version updates the team has put out. Curvature map and decals alone have saved me hours every single week since I updated. Thanks!