Author Topic: Same scene render test between corona and vray  (Read 34743 times)

2013-05-04, 20:58:32

nemesis

Hi guys,yesterday one of my friend told me about this new render.
  I think corona is awesome,it`s very simple but the render result is very well.
  so ,i decide take a test between vray and corona.
  as you can see this two pictures.
   first,i made a scene render by corona,i think the pic rendered by corona is more comfortable and beautiful.
   and ,most important thing is ,the render setting is very simple,just a few click ...
   then ,i covert render to vray,there is a problem comes,how can i render this scene  by vray as good as corona.
   i spent about one half an hour to adjust the vray setting,want to make the render result as the same as corona.
   finally,the result render by vray is just the same like that pic rendered by conara,and i didn`t use any post software to fix it.
   so,i would like to share some test result.
   the corona is powerful,i think the best part of corona is simple ,simple  rendering setting ,simple material setting,and the result is amazing.but render time is just a little long....
   the vray is good,sometimes if you want a good result ,you must take a lot of times to test t rendering,and the result is not very good ,in most situation you need to do
some post fixed,like  use photoshop after efect...etc.
   so,i think corona is a vrey good render, the deverloper is awesome.i think in the future,the corona will be take a part in the cg render market...
   sorry for my badly english...:)

2013-05-04, 21:18:34
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Corona should be able to render this scene much faster. From what I can see in your pictures, you have very low number of rays/s. Maybe it is because of your computer, but still, it should render at least 10 times faster just because of this. Maybe it is the slow filtering bug. You can try disabling filtering (in devel tab, which is activated in the about tab) and reporting rays/s (altought it may mess up the bump, if there is any). Or just post the scene and I'll take a look (in 14 days period. You can also upload it privately here http://corona-renderer.com/upload/)

_edit: also, are you using HD cache as the secondary solver? You should ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-05-04, 21:54:32
Reply #2

nemesis

hi~the rendertime is not correct,because if you dont push the stop button,it`s will rendering foever.....
   so ,there is a problem,you always think:maybe let it render more time that the rusult will be better.....so ,wait moren and more time..
   and the result seems not change to mush..:(
   i think the pic render by corona may be cost 10 minutes,the rest 10minutes is not nessary...
   and i have  use the HD for secondary solver...use HD seems can reduce the noise ...am i wrong?
   thanks ~~~~
   by the way ,i think  corona need surport normalmap, ies light,and give us some simple volume fog and environment fog and light glow,i think those function in 3dmax is
very weak,and restult is bad,many times we need use other software to add this effect..if corona can have a very simple setting but can give us a good result ,it will be great~~~haha .

2013-05-04, 23:02:04
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, HD cache reduces the noise in interiors quite a lot.

IES lighting is already supported (will be released publicly shortly), other stuff is not that hard to add
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-05-05, 08:35:20
Reply #4

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
I wonder, You could post a this scene?
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2013-05-05, 10:56:55
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I was thinking about it some time ago - make a certain scene (or a few), share with others, make a "competition" who will be able to render the scene with least amount of passes with best quality changing only render parameters.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-05-05, 11:18:20
Reply #6

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
I was thinking about it some time ago - make a certain scene (or a few), share with others, make a "competition" who will be able to render the scene with least amount of passes with best quality changing only render parameters.
It is necessary to revive this idea!

2013-05-05, 11:31:04
Reply #7

nemesis

yeah...but i think any render can do the same job ,i mean they can give us a same results .but,i think the different is which one can do it simply and more fast,and easy to use.i think many render have a lot of botton,but these botton you never click it and never know how it does work ,i think many people like me as a cg artist is
feel bored to setting this.

2013-05-05, 18:14:38
Reply #8

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
but i think any render can do the same job ,i mean they can give us a same results
I can not agree with you. Professionally cg artists will pay attention to detail (GI caustic, caustic from direct light, GI shadows, GI noise, GI blur etc.) and in different renderers are typically rendered in different ways. Even when using the same algorithm.

2013-05-06, 02:12:58
Reply #9

nemesis

Corona should be able to render this scene much faster. From what I can see in your pictures, you have very low number of rays/s. Maybe it is because of your computer, but still, it should render at least 10 times faster just because of this. Maybe it is the slow filtering bug. You can try disabling filtering (in devel tab, which is activated in the about tab) and reporting rays/s (altought it may mess up the bump, if there is any). Or just post the scene and I'll take a look (in 14 days period. You can also upload it privately here http://corona-renderer.com/upload/)

_edit: also, are you using HD cache as the secondary solver? You should ;)
    here is the scene and map,plz help me,i realized i have this problem,the ray/s has a low number
    and i  use the method you told me but the problem still happen...
    thanks~~~~

2013-05-06, 10:50:18
Reply #10

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
I used your settings, but changed the PT in the HD cache to 256, and here is the result:

2013-05-06, 12:01:02
Reply #11

nemesis

I used your settings, but changed the PT in the HD cache to 256, and here is the result:
  it`s seems the problem is my computer,i only have ray/s 700,000...:(

2013-05-06, 12:13:42
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I am getting decent performance in the scene without any modifications (same as polymax) on my i7. I optimize Corona thoroughly for my i7, so it is possible that it runs much worse on old CPUs, I've never tried it ;). Can you post the vray scene for comparison?

2013-05-06, 12:44:16
Reply #13

eungen

• Active Users
  • Nothing is natural, naturally would be nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.eungen.webs.com
I use random sampler 5D in i7 930 (<980). You may need more RAM?

2013-05-08, 07:47:34
Reply #14

listy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Made 2 test renders.
First with Mental Ray 6 m. 46 s. (FG: Draft, 7 bounces, Shadows from IBL, Unified sampling q:0.4, min:1;max96). Nice corners "contact shadows" from A&D "Exact color AO".
Second with Corona 7 m 41 s., (settings from test.max).
PC i7 2600K, not overclocked, 16GB, Max 2014