Author Topic: Corona 0.41 (Maya 2016)  (Read 27385 times)

2015-09-20, 16:57:24
Reply #15

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Haggi,

I've noticed a weird bug too.  It seems I can't place a utility node between a file map and the reflectionGlossiness attribute of the Corona Surface - except a contrast utility node.

I have tried to color correct my glossiness map by all means with any utility node, without success.  Normally I would use a remapValue but since they are not supported I tried RGBtoHSV, Clamp, and a few other but none is working.  Only the contrast uility is working as expected.

The file map works fine if I plug it directly in the shader, but not when there is a utility node between.

Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-09-20, 19:00:58
Reply #16

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also the area lights block other lights behind.  I cannot have a corona sun with area lights in the windows, the area lights block the light from the sun.  Maybe an option to let light pass through would be cool.

Another useful feature would be to expose the Corona tab / properties of lights in the channel box.
« Last Edit: 2015-09-20, 19:05:00 by RickToxik »
Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-09-20, 20:37:56
Reply #17

Eian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey RickToxic,

In order for the area lights to work the way you described, you need to enable "Use as Environment Portal" under "Corona" in the light shape attributes.
Normally this gives you a performance benefit but I'm not sure if its working properly cause after a quick test I just did I didn't see any performance gain.

Seems you're right about the utility node issue though.

2015-09-20, 21:04:02
Reply #18

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes but I don't necessarly want those lights to cast the environment lighting...  I would like to use them as regular (white) lights.

I thought about using mesh lights and disable cast shadow, maybe that would be a possible workaround.
Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-09-21, 17:58:40
Reply #19

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Normally this gives you a performance benefit but I'm not sure if its working properly cause after a quick

Me neither, I haven't seen any gain in terms of noise and speed with portal lights - both for meshes and lights.  I thought it was specific to my scene but if you experience the same issue it might not be then : )
Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-09-24, 22:24:17
Reply #20

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I guess this is already known, but the mirror U and mirror V features of the place2DTexture are not supported yet?
Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-09-25, 00:25:33
Reply #21

Eian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeap.. Actually texturing implementation in general seems to be a bit buggy..

2015-09-26, 20:00:12
Reply #22

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The shadow casting of area lights is fixed in the next release. And I'll have a look why you cannot place a utility node between file and attribute. As much as I'm aware color remapping should work, all necessary nodes are supported.

2015-09-27, 02:25:01
Reply #23

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Haggi!

There is a new utility node extremely useful in Maya 2016: color correct.  It does what all the other nodes (remap value, remap hsv, gamma correct, contrast, etc) do in one super node, and it was a very long-awaited feature in maya.  Right now I think it's not supported by any renderer except mental ray, but surely this will become the most used utility node after place2d, maybe you can add it on your list for one of the next releases!  : )
Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-09-27, 20:42:21
Reply #24

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah, okay, this node ist not yet supported. I'll see what I can do as soon as the current updates are done.

2015-09-27, 20:55:34
Reply #25

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice!!

I must admit though that not many people know about it yet I think....  I only found about it by digging in the docs on new features on Autodesk's website.  But I am sure people will use it all the time, just like they do in 3Ds Max with the same node.  It's the most useful node for sure.
Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-09-28, 18:56:32
Reply #26

Eian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very good to hear progress is being made!!

Haggi are we by any chance seeing interactive rendering implementation any time soon? I think its really important..
Also the new displacement features are more than great!

RickToxic great remark, indeed those new LookdevKit nodes are awesome!
The were added in the extension 1 and one needs to enable LookdevKit.mll plugin in order to access them.
There is a great new simplexnoise node as well which I think does not work in the current corona plugin either.
Seems a bit strange that they were added in the extension and not in the major release.
« Last Edit: 2015-09-28, 20:20:09 by Eian »

2015-09-28, 21:00:11
Reply #27

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interactive update will not make it into the next release. I'm working on the new hypershade material editor implementation what is a small version of interactive rendering. If it works as expected, I can translate the procedures to the IPR. Displacement and other features will be in the new release.

2015-09-28, 21:23:17
Reply #28

Eian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok good to know!

Keep up the good work!

2015-09-29, 01:46:50
Reply #29

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Haggi!  I am trying to render with Corona this scene that I rendered with another render.  The scene is pretty light, but has hi-res (4K-8K) png and jpg textures.  I have maybe 20 maya area lights, 9 materials, 1 sun and 1 exr environment.

When I apply a white material on everything, the render starts right away, but with my textures it takes more than 20 mins to start the render - it stays in the g.i. phase (or idk how you call it) almost forever and produces only 50-100 rays/s.

If I apply one material at the time on all objects the scene works (the calculation phase takes between 30s-1mn), but with all applied it looks just too much for the system (a recent laptop, should be fine!!).

Is the texture memory handled differently than the other software / plugins, or is it mandatory to use mipmaps with 8k textures with Corona?...

« Last Edit: 2015-09-29, 01:50:50 by RickToxik »
Maya 2016, windows 10