Author Topic: mask of blend materials  (Read 4014 times)

2015-05-20, 11:15:15

ignicapillus

• Active Users
  • NURBS warrior
    • View Profile
Hello!
probably someone already asked it, but I cannot find it anywhere in the forum...

Let's say I use a blend material to obtain a simple plastic material with a silver logo stamped on it. How can I make the logo appear in a Material Gbuf ID mask? It seem I can only get the mask of the blend material, not of its two components (while in Vray it was possible).

Any ideas?
saw & sew, that's what meshes need

2015-05-20, 11:30:03
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
One quick workaround would be to duplicate your blend mix map to CTexmap render element
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-05-20, 14:45:19
Reply #2

ignicapillus

• Active Users
  • NURBS warrior
    • View Profile
thank you! That works, but the mask needs some manual cleaning: the map is tiled, and projected on all surfaces.
Is it planned to have it working like in Vray (which seems more logical) in future releases?

2015-05-20, 17:41:07
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
you can multiply the CTexmap with CMasking_ID where the blend material is selected out.

There might be some update in the masking system in the future, we will see if there will be opportunities to improve it
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-05-20, 21:04:21
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
thank you! That works, but the mask needs some manual cleaning: the map is tiled, and projected on all surfaces.
Is it planned to have it working like in Vray (which seems more logical) in future releases?

Actually, you can just use Include/Exclude list in the render element, and include only objects that have the material.

So you go into material editor, hit "select by material" and once objects with that material are selected, just click the little + button next to include/exclude, then click the include/exclude button itself, and set mode to include.

It may look like bit too many steps, but it's doable in 3-5 seconds :)

2015-05-21, 14:57:54
Reply #5

ignicapillus

• Active Users
  • NURBS warrior
    • View Profile
thank you so much, this community is great!
I'm curious to try your methods!