Author Topic: Help with reflections from backplate using HDRI lighting  (Read 4252 times)

2015-05-20, 10:35:04

Torsten

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

I am having some issues with the control of my reflections in glass windows. I am using an HDRI to light the scene. And i want some different reflections (forest like) in my windows. I still want the lit the 3d objects with the HDRI, so override doesn't seem an option to me? So i went for using a large backplate with a forest image textured on it. However, i can't seem to make this backplate visible in my reflections. I can't seem to make it work wit a lightmaterial on it either. Do you guys have any suggestions how to make this work?

2015-05-20, 11:00:31
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, if I understand your question correctly, you should put:
-the hdri that you want to use for lighting - in 3ds max environment slot OR render setup > scene > scene environment > use corona
-the hdri that you want to see in reflections - in render setup > scene > scene environment > reflections override
This will make the 2nd hdri visible in ALL reflections in the scene. If you want the 2nd hdri to be visible only in reflections of one object (glass in this case) - put it in glass material's "reflect bg override".
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-05-20, 11:09:21
Reply #2

Torsten

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Maru, thanks for the quick reply.

I only have one hdri. The main problem I am struggling with is that i can't seem to make the backplate visible in the reflections of the windows. As you can see in the attached scene screenshot, i made the backplate very large, but i still only get the reflections of the hdri in the windows. The problem i face with using an extra hdri is that the reflections are very large/blurry. I want to have more control over the reflections, therefore i want to use the backplates.

2015-05-20, 11:16:28
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In this case please see this guide:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515605
And use the "rayswitch" method for the backplate. Corona Light mtl has its secrets and sometimes may produce unwanted results. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-05-20, 11:48:03
Reply #4

Torsten

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks MAru,

That seems to do the trick!