Author Topic: Tips on working with body objects from a STEP file  (Read 8899 times)

2015-05-18, 22:34:12

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
Hey! I'm getting pretty nice models from a customer. However they are in STEP format from some CAD software. Has anyone got any tips on working with the resulting body objects? Should I just convert them to editable meshes and try to quadify them or can you just use them right away? The results look pretty good at first glance when I use the "fine" preset in the viewport display settings but I have no idea how they will act with more advanced materials..

I started writing a max-script to convert them to polygons with proper resolution, but the results are pretty nasty, the topology is predictably messy..

2015-05-19, 07:46:30
Reply #1

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
in my experience, import it as fine or very fine and mesh it. should look proper

2015-05-19, 09:28:33
Reply #2

Alessandro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • DotLab Srl
I really suggest you to convert to editable mesh, so you can control what will append during render. Use Body object / Body utility primitive to set the value you need for mesh quality.
My Ducati or a render with Corona.....mmm, hard question!

2015-05-19, 09:43:40
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I prefer to leave it as body objects if there's no need to do some mesh modifications. It renders just fine and is much lighter in viewports.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-05-19, 10:16:09
Reply #4

Mr.Schorsch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • fokuspunkt
Try this.

http://moi3d.com/   

Helped me a lot. For me its the best exporter so far.

2015-05-19, 11:34:23
Reply #5

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had a lot proglems with importing .STEPz. (HAD, dont have anymore)
At work with max2012:
-Download a model from Grabcad
-Before I used some scripts to change the rendering quality. Sometime they worked, sometime not.
-Open it in Solidworks, save it as a .SAT-file
-Import and with every part, click it and change the rendering quality manually, again: with every part
-But then in this forum someone told me about the BodyUtility, saw how this works for all parts and maybe released a small tear.
Anyway BodyUtility saved me a lot of time.

At home with max2015:
-Download a model from Grabcad
-Import it to 3dsmax2015
-Hit render and no problems.

2015-05-19, 11:44:43
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There are some things you need to be aware of when working with any NURBS data imported in max.

First off, body objects' face shading is based on explicit normals (they are defined by the NURBS data already, they're not not based on max internal smoothing groups like any other model you create in max), once you invalidate them there's no way back. If you attempt to generate normals through smoothing groups they will never look as clean as the original explicit normals, this will usually produce a lot of artifacts.

If you need to convert to meshes, make sure to convert to editable meshes, editable polys may corrupt explicit normals (they may work fine but sometimes they just don't). Be aware that vertices are always unwelded in converted meshes, to weld them use either:
- the weld & smooth option in the body object (mostly works, sometimes produces artifacts) and then convert to editable mesh
- convert to editable mesh first, then use the ProOptimizer modifier, leave the face count at 100%, check 'Weld Vertices' with a tiny threshold to keep all vertices and check 'Keep Normals'. Convert to editable mesh again, vertices should now be welded.

Some modifiers in max will corrupt explicit normals, you'll see it when it happens, in this case avoid using these modifiers.

Detaching elements from or attaching objects to these meshes will definitely corrupt normals.
If you need to detach elements, make a copy of the object, and delete the elements you don't need. On the copy delete the inverse selection. I you need more elements detached, then it's a bit of manual work.
If you need to attach to these meshes, avoid using the attach command from the editable mesh object and rather use the collapse command from the utilities panel, this will not invalidate normals.

Some of these problems have been addressed in the latter max versions, what I suggest is based on max 2012 but it seems similar problems still persist in max 2014, not sure about 2015 and 2016. If you see related artifacts with your normal workflow then you have some workarounds at least.

Keeping NURBS data as body objects without converting them is also completely valid. There's no need to convert as long as you don't need to modify the resulting mesh. Only make sure that the render mesh is set to use the viewport mesh to avoid different results between the viewport and rendering.

2015-05-20, 08:00:45
Reply #7

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
and also, having many body objects in scene makes corona parsing looong

2015-05-21, 14:43:42
Reply #8

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
After working with imported NURBS data in Max 2016 for some days I have to update what I stated above. Attaching and detaching seems to work without corrupting normals (finally), converting to editable polys seems to work fine, too.
The only problem is that using the Body Object's 'weld & smooth' option seems to hang max when attempting to convert to e-mesh/e-poly, might have to do with the complexity of data I tried this on. The ProOptimizer still works like it did, so if you need to weld vertices, this is the way to go.

But many of the issues found in earlier versions have been ironed out, so you may get away with a lot less problems than I warned about.

2015-06-04, 20:33:44
Reply #9

hglr123

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you have max 2016 - then you will use the new Importer for CAD files.
What I suggest you is to convert to Mesh when you import CAD objects (be sure that you check resolution option first on simple CAD object, to understood it better, or you can get very very dense models after import.). This will give you much better objects inside 3ds max.

With new Importer now I never import CAD files as BO anymore.

Edit: And BO are slow.

BR!