Author Topic: Missed rays in reflections/refractions with large scene extents  (Read 1729 times)

2015-05-12, 13:05:21

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a scene where I have placed objects (mountains) far away (20 km) in the scene and I need them to be reflected in scene objects closer to the camera. This causes artifacts on window panes in refractions and in places that reflect these panes.
I know there was a value in the daily builds for that but it seems it has changed. Did this setting change to 'Enviro distance' now? What side effects will it have when I change the value from the default 1 000 to 20 000 or even 30 000?

2015-05-12, 13:35:16
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Could you show an example? I checked this and it looks pretty ok. The teapots are 20km from camera.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-05-12, 13:55:02
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Enviro distance is not the thing. It's for global volume. I am afraid this would be problematic for all the renderers. Usually, when i know my scene extents will reach over 1*1km, i usually start building the scene with meters as system units. 20km is truly extreme value... what are your system units?

2015-05-12, 14:35:16
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, at least I know that enviro distance does something different.
Maru, I guess the problem will start to appear when you make the glass panes thinner.

Here's a report from way earlier where it happened for me:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,730.msg5477.html#msg5477

I'll have to come up with a different solution in this case, I may be able to render the mountains out and map them on a plane closer to the camera.