Author Topic: Troubleshootine render times  (Read 5038 times)

2015-05-10, 21:23:32

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

I am trying to render a scene with about 1.3million polys in 1280x720. I get a clear render in 4 passes but it takes about 2 hours to finish those passes. I am geting 700K  I was wondering if there was a way to improve this. I suspect its mostly to do with my slow computer but if I can improve on that it would be great.

Thanks

2015-05-11, 04:19:07
Reply #1

alebul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you show screenshot of material setting?

2015-05-11, 07:58:03
Reply #2

Lucutus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • a+m
your Rays per sample are way to high.
Thats why it takes so long for 4 passes.

maybe you find help here.

https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000501982-rays-per-sample-too-high

greetz

Lucutus

2015-05-11, 08:05:37
Reply #3

Vanya

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

I am trying to render a scene with about 1.3million polys in 1280x720. I get a clear render in 4 passes but it takes about 2 hours to finish those passes. I am geting 700K  I was wondering if there was a way to improve this. I suspect its mostly to do with my slow computer but if I can improve on that it would be great.

Thanks
Why "Light Samples Multiplier" 5? Try to change 2, which is about 2 times faster.

2015-05-11, 11:40:57
Reply #4

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi I was increasing the samples because I thought it was taking more time as it didn't have enough samples to solve. I have now reverted to the default settings which are much faster but its hard to get rid of the noise. It seems to be something to do with being in a tunnel and light placements. I have two corona disc lights facing down the tunnel at either end. If I have them facing down then i get a much cleaner result quicker.  I tried with a cylinder and basic material.

2015-05-11, 12:07:16
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What is this material? o_o
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-05-11, 12:10:39
Reply #6

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Its a standard corona material with those settings I am trying to do a SSS material I saw similar setups in the help doc. with the default setting its takes 10-15 minutes do to a single pass thats what i was trying to improve.

2015-05-11, 12:16:51
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
But this material is applied to the tunnel object? Is this tunnel a solid object?

2015-05-11, 12:30:45
Reply #8

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Its a blood vessel, theres two openings but its made out of cells so there are small gaps between the cells. The image should help.

2015-05-11, 12:40:48
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I would suggest reverting GI and LSM values to defaults. It renders slow probably because of SSS effects covering a big area. Does it also render so slowly if you use another material (for example use a basic grey material)? This could help identifying whether it's caused by displacement or material. If it's material, you could try using translucency instead of SSS.

2015-05-11, 12:56:06
Reply #10

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
thanks for looking into this.

I have reverted back to the default and now it takes 10-15 mins to do one pass, If i could improve that it would be great. As I will probably send this to a farm to render.

With a standard material its much faster but it does take a while to clear the noise, and I noticed this even when I have a simple geo around it like a cylinder. Is there an issue being in a small enclosed space.

I will try a translucent material as well.

2015-05-11, 13:10:55
Reply #11

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
You could try using single bounce only. It will make SSS a little darker so you will have to brighten the color up to compensate for it. BUT it should render much faster :)

2015-05-11, 13:45:22
Reply #12

Vanya

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the whole thing in the processor, amd processors run much slower with intel. if have is another comptr, check how it will speed.

2015-05-11, 15:36:08
Reply #13

pieforme

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Using single bounce and the default settings have helped a lot.  Thanks for the tips.

I have sent it to be checked on another machine I am pretty sure that this is the main cause as the machine is old. but in general I have been getting good results with this machine thats why I was trying to see if I can make it a bit better