Author Topic: Glossy Falloff Curve Experiment  (Read 17564 times)

2015-06-03, 16:47:51
Reply #15

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
Interesting stuff!I was sometimes using a blend with the same material and higher glossiness for that 'rim' effect, like a spaz :D

And +1 to Alex Roman's stuff, the guy's a freakin' legend to those who know his work!
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2015-06-03, 16:58:08
Reply #16

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am a little puzzled as I thought that the original idea of the GGX/GTR BRDF code factored fresnel glossy falloff into the reflection model.
Or is the fresnel code for reflection only and not roughness (hence the minor impact on a custom Fresnel Map that Ondra confirmed recently).

2015-06-03, 18:23:53
Reply #17

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I am a little puzzled as I thought that the original idea of the GGX/GTR BRDF code factored fresnel glossy falloff into the reflection model.

it does, but some people just have to have custom solutions to everything ;)

there might also be currently some bugs
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-06-03, 22:51:35
Reply #18

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the confirmation Ondra!
If you are really going for a material specific physical approach then you are best off building on a simpler BRDF model anyhow then and replicating the behaviour in real world terms.
Potentially an expensive route for minuscule gains in realism I imagine.

2015-08-31, 11:02:20
Reply #19

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there everyone,

I'm very interested in this glossiness change per angle. The best I could see it in real world is by taking my wacom tablet and putting it next to my monitor. When my viewing angles turned to a high angle, the reflection was pretty sharp, compared to looking straight into it.

I can barely notice the effect with "natural" GGX shader in Corona, but I was expecting a much higher difference in glossiness, now it is barely visible. I surely couldn't recreate the effect of the Wacom surface without using a falloff map in the glossiness slot

« Last Edit: 2015-08-31, 11:08:03 by Blackhawk »

2015-08-31, 11:39:12
Reply #20

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You cannot expect a "universal" shader that will work with everything. In real world, this is dependent on the micro structure of materials.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-31, 11:50:57
Reply #21

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Maru,

Thanks for replying. That is correct, so applying a fallof curve in the glossiness is still the best way to go for more complex materials.

I must say, Corona shader is the best I've seen so far :)

Kindly,