Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.0 - 1.4  (Read 248023 times)

2015-06-25, 21:58:04
Reply #165

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I do not think GGX was supposed to be any faster :X But if it is, then it's awesome :) Perhaps in some scenes, especially with materials with very low glossiness, it could.
It is. There were examples when it was introduced.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-06-30, 11:08:23
Reply #166

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I just got a scene where CoronaBitmap helps to speed up the render by a factor of 20. Holy shit ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-06-30, 12:47:06
Reply #167

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I just got a scene where CoronaBitmap helps to speed up the render by a factor of 20. Holy shit ;)

Impossible according the One :- D

4) VrayBitmap - Several other renderers have this like corona Bitmap for instance, and I think they are getting 10-15% increase in rendering speed because of it. would be nice to have integrated color correction in that also.

That's not true, CoronaBitmap is not faster than the Max Bitmap and in some cases is slower. Whatever speed it has seems to be because it doesn't implement filtering quite properly yet, or implements lower quality filtering (like bilinear instead of cubic). With that said, some improvements to VRayHDRI are certainly possible to make it a few percent faster. However make no mistake - the Max Bitmap is actually really good (if Bitmap pager is off). It only mildly sucks for HDR floating-point images.

Best regards,
Vlado
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-06-30, 13:32:00
Reply #168

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Attached is the scene I got from a customer for debugging of an unrelated problem. I cannot show more due to the implied confidentiality, but it is a typical production scene. There is probably something set up incorrectly in 3ds Max, but the difference still shocked me - rendering phase is 25 times faster.

This is the behavior I was observing in 3dsmax - the max bitmap is consistently 10-15% slower, but in some very specific cases the difference is MUCH bigger for some reason. This is the case where woodoo debugging such as resaving to .gif helps, but nobody was able to discover a reliable pattern.

PS: If you are going to repost this to vray forum, please ask vlado what T-shirt size is he ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-06-30, 15:53:46
Reply #169

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

PS: If you are going to repost this to vray forum, please ask vlado what T-shirt size is he ;)

:-)

2015-06-30, 16:03:51
Reply #170

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
btw yes, the scene had bitmap paging turned on. I did not know that setting was per-scene ;). But even without it there is a nice boost about 20%... and it just shows that people do not know about the option. I will have to see if I can detect it is being used.

2015-06-30, 16:05:56
Reply #171

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
btw yes, the scene had bitmap paging turned on. I did not know that setting was per-scene ;). But even without it there is a nice boost about 20%... and it just shows that people do not know about the option. I will have to see if I can detect it is being used.
It would be great. There already was a discussion abut it, something like auto-check for known problems. "Cast shadows" disabled in object properties, bitmap paging, internal resolution,...
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-06-30, 16:29:29
Reply #172

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I use great little script that DeadClown gave me. It shows warning message everytime i open a scene with bitmap paging on. Invaluable tool! It saves me from potential headaches so many times :]

And there's another script that ensures that everytime i start or reset max, bitmap paging is turned off. You can never be too much ensured :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-06-30, 21:07:47
Reply #173

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Yeah that little script is a must (thanks to Martin, again)) - saved me from quite a few headaches too, especially when opening some older or not my own made scenes - bitmap pager can be a real pain if it is not detected in time and why autodesk doesn't remove that outdated troublemaker is just beyond my understanding. Some sort of disabled cast shadows warner\disabler\enabler\fixer )) would be quite nice to have too.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-30, 21:12:22 by antanas »

2015-07-04, 04:07:00
Reply #174

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
hi guys,
I found a small difference in speed when corona bitmap used as spherical backplate. corona bitmap is a bit slower than vray hdri.
the scene is only an object and a plane with shadow catcher. what do you think, did I do some mistake or it's a known thing?

2015-07-04, 08:57:46
Reply #175

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
the difference is negligible, and I assume vray HDRI is also optimized, so this is not a problem/surprise

2015-07-06, 03:56:35
Reply #176

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
the difference is negligible, and I assume vray HDRI is also optimized, so this is not a problem/surprise
yes, only get this small different when used as environment backplate. even in big scene it got no big difference too. :)

2015-07-08, 12:36:28
Reply #177

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Teaser

2015-07-08, 13:15:18
Reply #178

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Now that is looking really promising! It is some sort of image feature based displacement subdivision - do I get it right?

2015-07-08, 13:22:21
Reply #179

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
oooowwwwhh

can't wait to test that feature