Author Topic: Weird artifacts when rendering far from the origin point  (Read 6944 times)

2015-02-15, 17:34:27

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
First, I need to mention that I tried this on Mental Ray and it works perfectly.

So, I am working on a scene that is far away from the origin point for the reason that is based on geographic coordinates (so, I cannot move closer to the origin axis). I imported a grass model to use in the terrain, but when I render the geometry looks really weird. Trees and other bigger models don't appear like this.
Any solution for this? I have attached  an image.

2015-02-15, 17:49:57
Reply #1

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Forgot to mention that I am using the daily builds
Build timestamp: Feb 15 2015 00:01:55

And I attached a file with the problem.

2015-02-19, 01:00:29
Reply #2

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Cyrus3v

Most likely are the new settings of the versions of 3dstudio from 2013 to today

Regard
Raf

2015-02-19, 09:03:13
Reply #3

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Maybe. The models are not recent.

I had to move everything to the 0.0.0 point, which is not very practical when you are working with more than 12 million objects. :)

The weird thing is that with mental ray it works, so I don't know if this should be considered as a bug.

2015-02-19, 13:00:41
Reply #4

xt13r

• Active Users
  • Viva la Corona!
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio
AFAIK, this is the limitations of 3dsmax, and the only solution is to use the proper unit setup, for exterior scenes - meters, for interior cm/mm.
for me this resolved problem with wrong rendering of small objects in a huge scale scene in vray, when I first encountered this

2015-02-19, 18:34:46
Reply #5

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
AFAIK, this is the limitations of 3dsmax, and the only solution is to use the proper unit setup, for exterior scenes - meters, for interior cm/mm.
for me this resolved problem with wrong rendering of small objects in a huge scale scene in vray, when I first encountered this

But I am using meters.

The is a long term project and everything is georeference, so I will need to find a way to move everything imported to the 0.0.0 point and then back to the original point when exported.

Any suggestion? I will see if I have permission to post the image.

2015-02-19, 21:52:14
Reply #6

nauticus25

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, the single precision floating point numbers in Max are the cause.  There are some suggestions here:  http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxstation/n4_jittery_animations_strange_viewport_display_when_working_with_large_coordinates

I know the Civil View plugin in 3ds Max Design will apply an offset for you when importing geometry (.vsp3d, landXML, etc), but you'd have to reverse the offset manually when you export it (performed most likely in whatever software you're exporting to).  Not sure if there's another way of applying an automatic offset to geometry in Max.
i9-12900K @ 3.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 3090ti
Max 2024, Corona 10

2015-02-20, 00:08:46
Reply #7

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello  Cyrus3v

2015-02-23, 11:59:25
Reply #8

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Yeah, the single precision floating point numbers in Max are the cause.  There are some suggestions here:  http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxstation/n4_jittery_animations_strange_viewport_display_when_working_with_large_coordinates

I know the Civil View plugin in 3ds Max Design will apply an offset for you when importing geometry (.vsp3d, landXML, etc), but you'd have to reverse the offset manually when you export it (performed most likely in whatever software you're exporting to).  Not sure if there's another way of applying an automatic offset to geometry in Max.

Exactly. Every time I import the 3D model from Civil 3D, it tells me that the distance from the origin is too far and may cause problems. The problem is that I will be using Revit models as well. I am trying a few things to find a easy to keep a smooth workflow.

Thanks for the help